Ground gases

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think i may have a Radon problem in an outhouse of mine.

I have developed a sensitivity to a newly built outhouse and it could be a possible radon cause .I have laid a liquid dpc to the slab but would this be enough to stop ground gases penetrating through?

Any ideas?
thanks Lloyd

Sponsored Links
Only if the manufacturer confirms its suitable for use as a radon barrier and its bonded with a suitable dpc in the walls. What area are you in, is Radon common where you are?

Sponsored Links
You are in a low risk area but the only way to know for certain is to purchase a detector. These are about forty quid online from UKRadon.org including the analysis and report.

thanks for your replys guys,it looks like a no no then according to the maps so now i'm still baffled.
I get a swelling /fullness type sensation in my ears and tight chested after being in the place after ten minuites or so.I have been tested for mould/pollens etc but was all clear so i then thought it might be coming out of the ground...bloomin pain it is but still no answers

thanks Lloyd

You will not get any "sensitivity" to Radon, untill perhaps you have cancer. V. unlikely BTW.

Got any Celotex/Kingspan in the build :?: That`s strange stuff for "emissions" when it`s cut ....allegedly ;)

Couple of comments - 1. Have you got sufficient air changes; 2. Has the building dried out; 3. As mentioned by Nige F PIR insulation material can give off some noxious fumes which are known to cause sensitivity in some individuals, may smell nice to some people but that does not guarantee you won't get sensitised, hence read the instructions! Regretfully, getting de-sensitised can be extremely difficult!!

You should have plenty of ventilation to dry the place out and remove any fumes/gases for at least a few weeks - its no good shutting doors and windows, which then trap the odours (fumes/gases) in the building. Assuming you have heating in the outhouse, one remedy to try would be to heat the building and basically 'burn the building in' 24/7 for say 3-4 weeks at around 28C. Raising the temperature in this way will encourage off-gasing of any suspect materials used in the construction of the building. Then reduce the temperature for normal day to day living, give the building a couple of more weeks to settle down and you should notice an improvement, can't say it would be 100% sucessful but it would be hoped that you would have no further problems.

4. The stuff you put on the floor can have similar properties to PIR insulation - you probably noticed the smell on the first couple of occassions on entering the outbuilding but paid it no attention, your sense of smell then adapted to the smell and further exposure caused sensitisation of the mucous membranes. The system you have used on the floor is probably moisture resistant, but is unlikely to be vapour resistant (I will stand corrected on this point) but I know from experience that to get a vapour resistant barrier on an existing concrete floor required 3 coats of a 2 pack expoxy resin, the company would not give a guarantee on a 1 coat system!

The only thing I can suggest is try out the remedy in item 3, and I hope you get the result you are looking for!

Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back