Ground Soil Percolation Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced ground soil percolation test done near Colchester for my planned sewage treatment plant.

I don't have access for a digger so would have to be done either by hand or bore.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I was going to have a go myself but at 80 and with a balance problem it might be unwise. Also have read that some councils will only accept result from an "approved person" .

Really looking for someone who could carry out the test as some of the figures I've seen quoted seem ridiculous.

Last edited:
Thanks, I was going to have a go myself but at 80 it might be unwise. Also have read that some council will only accept result from an "approved person" .

Really looking for someone who could carry out the test as some of the figures I've seen quoted seem ridiculous.
I've never heard of an "approved person" being insisted on, or at least under B Regs. Although to be fair I've not been involved in septic tanks for years as I moved from a rural area to a built up area. I've witnessed plenty of these myself, but there appears to be some new legislation via the EA but I've not looked at it.

Sponsored Links
Somewhere (probably in the Approved Docs) there will be the specifications for the test (which is trying to determine how many litres per hour your soil can absorb). If you can find that specification then do the test yourself (bribe a local youth or grandchild to dig the holes) and video the process. If council don't accept your results, send them the video and point to the bit in the ADs where it says 'shall be deemed to comply'.
Or give building control a ring (or email in these days)- some are very helpful, some are not

Somewhere (probably in the Approved Docs) there will be the specifications for the test (which is trying to determine how many litres per hour your soil can absorb). If you can find that specification then do the test yourself (bribe a local youth or grandchild to dig the holes) and video the process. If council don't accept your results, send them the video and point to the bit in the ADs where it says 'shall be deemed to comply'.
Or give building control a ring (or email in these days)- some are very helpful, some are not
My first reply has the link and page no for the approved document and the test, its also described in the BS for small treatment works, which is actually where it originated from.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back