House extension: establishing ridge heights on inclined and uneven grounds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During a visit from planning compliance officers for an unrelated matter, I explained that my front extension pushes the FFL under the ground and I will have to landscape to reduce ground levels, by about 250mm. This will make my ridge measure higher than it really is, and would it get me in trouble in the future?

They replied that as a significant part of the existing structure remains they can work out the original ground levels regardless of landscaping.

I am not so sure about that because once the soil is gone is gone and I was thinking of taking a lot of photographs before the diggers come in.

Is there a better way to do this?

PS: house is built on an incline and it is only the front ground level where ridge levels can be taken accurately, with DPC approx 2 bricks over GL, but sides and rear ground declines by about 2 metres or more. If the front ground level was to be made lower, with no much evidence what it used to be in the past, is what worries me.

Sponsored Links
I understand the councils use Google imagery to spy on householders so I'm sure they'll have access to some if necessary.

I know this is true because I read it in the Daily Mail.

I understand the councils use Google imagery to spy on householders so I'm sure they'll have access to some if necessary.

I know this is true because I read it in the Daily Mail.
The ones around me use a private firm for annual updates, and these are really good quality. If you see a light plane going back and forth for while, that's it.

Sponsored Links
During a visit from planning compliance officers for an unrelated matter, I explained that my front extension pushes the FFL under the ground and I will have to landscape to reduce ground levels, by about 250mm. This will make my ridge measure higher than it really is, and would it get me in trouble in the future?

They replied that as a significant part of the existing structure remains they can work out the original ground levels regardless of landscaping.

I am not so sure about that because once the soil is gone is gone and I was thinking of taking a lot of photographs before the diggers come in.

Is there a better way to do this?

PS: house is built on an incline and it is only the front ground level where ridge levels can be taken accurately, with DPC approx 2 bricks over GL, but sides and rear ground declines by about 2 metres or more. If the front ground level was to be made lower, with no much evidence what it used to be in the past, is what worries me.
Your existing and proposed drawings should indicate the before and after levels, and that is what the permission is based on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back