Groundworks: What is this hardstanding material?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have just been granted planning permission to build a barn in the field at the back of our house. I need to put in some hard standing and a field drain.
I know what type of hard standing finish I want, but have no idea what it is called or where to get it. Can anyone identify it for me from this photo?

I'm thinking I might need 150mm of type 1 crushed concrete and then a 50mm covering of this black stuff, whatever it is. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Hardstanding.jpg

Sponsored Links
You need some stones and then dust to cover them to make it smooth.

A proper sub base would be type 1 mot. the black stuff you mention could be road planings but its very hard to see from that photo so far away.

If it is road planings then to be honest its a very cheap waste material and is passable for long farm tracks etc but is not great for areas where there will be lots of turning etc.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. It is a semi-agricultural settings. It'll not get much traffic and when it does it's as likely as not to be a tractor! I have road planing on my drive and it's fine for the traffic... but it's got loads of crap in it (as it is intended to add gravel at some point) and is not pretty enough as is for the barn area. I think I might need screened road planings (if such a thing exists).

Does this photo help identify the covering better?

Hardstanding_2.jpg

I think as it hasn't been done in a long time its hard to tell and so could be anything. very degraded tarmac or degraded road planings or just a gravel thats been ground in and disappeared over the years

I'll take a photo in a few days of my dad's lane which is clinker. From memory they look very similar.

Give me a few days.

If you want a half tidy rural type finish I'd use 75mm of hoggin over 150mm type 1. For hoggin try Breedon gravel or similar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back