What type of wall material is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into a house (originally built in 1972) which needs a fair bit of decorating. The previous owner has made a bit of a hash of painting the interior walls, so much so that I can scrape back the paint that's been applied to them. I've attached a couple of photos. When the paint is scraped back there's a pattern underneath (surface is smooth), looks like a type of melamine? The wall panels are about 4 foot wide and spaced with what looks like metal joining strips.
Any idea what material this wall material is?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
i think woody is right you are going to die :eek:

do not sand it and you will be ok

Too smooth for astos/cement - and too late if indeed 1972 - in my opinion ;) Some sort of patent lining system with those metal strips - never seen down here :confused:

Sponsored Links
Nige F - hate to break the news to you, but asbestos cement was finally banned in the UK in 1999. Also AC panels used for internal walls can be very smooth on the room facing side.

If you tap the panels with a tool does it sound almost metallic in ring? Back of your hand to the panel, cold?

Its hard to say from your pictures but asbestos cement could be a real possibility, is the property 'system built'?

Always happy to answer any asbestos questions from people if you PM me, I'm the quality manager for an asbestos consultancy team at a multi national engineering consultancy, so should be able to help.

Thanks for all your feedback
I've tapped the panels with a screwdriver and there's no metallic sound, just sounds like if you tapped a plaster wall. Back of my hand to an area which has the paint scraped off is not cold, back of my hand to where it is painted is not overly cold.
This wall construction is only used in one section of the house - entrance and part of the kitchen. Everywhere else seems to be plasterboard.
These joining strips I was referring to may not be metal after all, I've found an area which isn't painted over and it's a woodgrain effect.
Galliano, with your reference to "system built". The house is on an estate which was all built by the same builder in 1970. To my mind "system built" would refer to concrete prefabs, so not in the same scope as that. HOWEVER, I do IT contracting work for an engineering company which has some of its offices in large prefab portacabins (c. 1995 I'm told). The interior wall construction there seems remarkably similar ie similar type wall, similar joining strips etc.....
Alex

That embossed "waffle" effect is a sign of pressing, and there was not much else in terms of building materials being pressed in the 60's or 70's except for asbestos cement sheets.

You may not get the typical ringing when these are fixed in-situ

Take that light switch out and investigate the edges of the boards for a better indication of the material. If slightly fibrous then then assume asbestos cement

Hi Woody
Although it looks embossed, the surface is absolutely smooth. I will take out a light switch and check as you suggest.
Alex

I have seen and used loads of asbestos and most of it looked just like that.
if it is asbestos just paint over it and it will be fine.

Woody - don't you think that might just be scrim tape around the switch? It's the overall construction that has me worried.

The honest answer is from those photographs i just cant tell, but the age and construction type does make me nervous.

Can you ask a neighbour, I guess all the house were the same construction.

Right folks, an update. Rather than going in at the light switch, I removed a intra-room vent above a doorway as this would give me a better idea. Sure enough, I now have the following pic.
The hatched pattern looks to be part of a laminated board (only around 2-3mm thick overall, and behind it, it looks like plaster board? So clearly this hatched board was put up at a time when I guess people thought this looked cool? All further views welcome....
Thanks
Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back