What type of wall material is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've moved into a new house which needs a fair bit of decorating. The previous owner has made a bit of a hash of painting the interior walls, so much so that I can scrape back the paint that's been applied to them. I've attached a couple of photos. When the paint is scraped back there's a pattern underneath, looks like a type of melamine? The wall panels are about 4 foot wide and spaced with what looks like metal joining strips.
Any idea what material this wall material is, and what I need to do to strip this off and repaint properly?
Many thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
When you say new house, what exactly do you mean by 'new'?

It's a bit difficult to tell from the picture, and I don't want to cause alarm, but the 'A' word springs to mind - Asbestos. :confused:

Hopefully it's just some form of fibreboard but I've certainly seen asbestos panelling joined in a similar fashion and the little weaved squares look similar.

Don't take my word for it, as trying to identify something from a picture is difficult. Best not to do too much scraping until you have determined exactly what it is.

I'm sure someone else here will put your mind at rest!

Sorry, I should have clarified this. The house is new to us, but was originally built in 1972.
Alex

Hmm, I did presume it wasn't a new build by the panelling but thought I'd better clarify.
As the property is some 40 years old it is possible that you have asbestos there, but I would have thought your survey would have picked up on it before you bought the house.
As said previously, it's best to confirm exactly what you have, and as I am no expert in asbestos, I would suggest asking in the Building Forum if someone there could tell you. Then, all being well, come back here for advice on the decorating side.
Sorry I can't be more certain. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Alex.

You really need to determine what these boards are, I would doubt them to be asbestos but not knowing what they are means advice regarding the correct paint system impossible to offer.

Dec

Just wondering if its something like Aquapanel like you put behind showers and the like. Maybe there was some damp originally.

How about posting the photos also in the building forum- they might be able to identify it?

Thank you,

Well my thoughts so far lead to some form of laminate, yet still stumped. :confused:

Dec

Just done a quick search and I'm now fairly confident it is some type of cement bonded particle board. Looked for a matching image but couldn't find one. There are countless different brands and types so it could be any one of them.

Bear in mind I did say 'fairly confident' so no guarantees!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back