Tiling bathroom - ready mixed plaster & painted surface

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on wall preparation before tiling my bathroom.

I'm looking to tile the area around my bath from the tub to the ceiling using 200 X 300 tiles in a brick bond pattern.

I currently have two courses of tea coster style tiles (100 x 100) around the top of the tub which seem well bonded to the wall.

Above these tiles the walls have been painted using a kitchen and bathroom paint.

All walls prior to painting and tiling were smoothed over using a ready mixed plaster from a tub.

I'm a little worried not only about the tiles adhering to the painted surfaces (painted surfaces seem sound), but the fact that walls have been coated in a ready mix plaster. Is a ready mixed plaster strong enough to take these sizes tiles?

Should I score, sand and prime the painted surfaces? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As I said, the current coaster type tiles appear to have adhered very well but this was directly onto the ready mixed plaster surface (no paint underneath).

TIA.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back