Ready mixed adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would anybody recommend using a tub of ready mixed adhesive for tiling a bathroom?
The tubs I've seen say to prime plaster with a PVA and water mix an hour before tiling.

When I did my en-suite I opted for bags of adhesive and mixed it myself but for obvious reasons tubs of ready mixed adhesive would be less messy and enable me to carry out the tiling of my bathroom faster.

With regards to the PVA instruction, is it a good idea to PVA?
I've seen a few posts here against the use of PVA.

Sponsored Links
ps i would never prime with pva. i buy the recommended primer to suit the surface i am applying the tiles to, its a small amount of money compared to the cost of the tiles adhesive etc. and the grief of them not adhering properly

Skimmed plasterboard with tanking around the bath/shower area.

Tiles I have yet to decide upon.

I assume you're hinting at a crossover where ready mixed adhesive becomes problematic and a cement based powdered adhesive is recommended?

If so, what size of tile would require powdered adhesive?

Sponsored Links
ps i would never prime with pva. i buy the recommended primer to suit the surface i am applying the tiles to, its a small amount of money compared to the cost of the tiles adhesive etc. and the grief of them not adhering properly

Cost isn't an issue. The job has to be right.

Why would the manufacturer tell you to use a PVA and water mix to prime?

Cost isn't an issue. The job has to be right.

Why would the manufacturer tell you to use a PVA and water mix to prime?

was the tubbed addy unibond?
regarding the use of PVA why dont u call the adhesive manufacturer of this tubbed addy?

then call an other manufacturer and get a second opion..bal/mapei etc..

To be honest I can't remember the manufacturer.
It was at a house where I was carrying out some work and it got me thinking that it might be easier to use.

hi gary any tile approaching 300mm or bigger is the size i would use cement based powdered adhesive for.

Yes, 300mm square and above is considered large format, difficult for the air to get behind the tile to dry the adhesive + weight issues associated with large tile- tend to be thicker + thicker adhesive bed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back