Grouting bevelled subway tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put these up previously and was planning another project with these. From the last experience, I found the grouting and sealant a challenge.

The grout float struggled with the recessed joints due to bevelled edges. The sponging off was also not as easy as it would be with flat tiles and finally, sealant between the worktop and tiles didn’t allow me to use my sealant profiles due to the bevelled edge of the tiles. Other than that they were a real pleasure!

Is there a particular technique to the above? I’d appreciate your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Let the grout sit for a couple of minutes more after mixing to thicken it only a little.

Be prepared to do a little less tile at a time than you normally would, which might mean multiple batches.

Do not rush, you will use more grout than usual and alot more than you expect will be washed off after.

Use the tip of the grout float to remove as much excess as possible, or get some dowel and cut it to a length thats comfortable to hold then round the ends with sandpaper. When you have applied the grout take the dowel and strike lightly down and across the grouted joints as you would with your finger. This will tool the joint and remove some excess grout. Then wash off with your sponge to remove and clean the remaining grout from the tile.

A proper sponge is a must, as the correct density will leave a better finish.

Same for the sealer, a sponge tipped sealer bottle makes this way easier.

You can get sealeant profiles with a "leg" that clips on to accomdate bevels from Kramer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back