Grouting border with very tight gap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Looks OK to me, I've used similar many times including my own shower, how much of a gap did you want? Just be sure you force it well in there.

Waterproof grout isn't truly waterproof anyway, it will still absorb moisture; that's why it's so important to have a waterproof tile base in wet areas! ;)

I was hoping for at least 1mm gap to get the grout in, but to me it looks like these are touching each other. I have seen other borders that are like this in tile shops.

Going to order a sample so i can have a proper look.

I will be waterproofing behind the shower area but haven't decided whether to use aqua panel or use bal WP1 onto plasterboard.

I was hoping for at least 1mm gap to get the grout in, but to me it looks like these are touching each other. I have seen other borders that are like this in tile shops.
Going to order a sample so i can have a proper look.
Your worrying unduly, it’s really not a problem if you do as I said.

I will be waterproofing behind the shower area but haven't decided whether to use aqua panel or use bal WP1 onto plasterboard.
Don’t us PB in wet areas even MR; Aquapanel will work out more or less the same price & is much better, you don’t need to tank it but if it makes you happy!

Sponsored Links
I am worrying as don't want my shower to turn into a wet room:) and I have been searching all over the net for a answer to this with everyone saying different answers.
eg: Cant grout as they a touching
Just use loads of sealant is the only way (no grout :s)
You can only do it with a sand free grout (even with sand free grout how would u would u be able to get it right down the gaps when the tiles are butted up to each other?)

Sorry to keep pushing on the topic but i know showers are the area in a house most prone to leaks and i don't want mine to be one of them.

Also if i do use aqua panel (think i will now) do i tape the joints and if so what with?

Cheers project1

Missed this bit :rolleyes:
Also if i do use aqua panel (think i will now) do i tape the joints and if so what with?
You can buy Knauf reinforcing tape but I just use plasterboard reinforcing tape as I always have on hand;
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1285837984024&isSearch=true

Apply a little adhesive over & into join, apply the tape & force more adhesive into the mesh so it ends up flush with the top of the mesh tape; tile over as normal. It’s important that you plan board joints so they do not coincide with joints in the tiles.

That has given me more confidence now.

Good point on planing on the joints on the aqua panel.

Cheers Project1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back