Help with grouting mosaic tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally finished tiling my en-suite which has taken an absolute age due to minimal available time and also being a first timer to tiling.

Anyway, I've fitted a small 3 high mosaic border and am just wondering how I go about grouting due to there being many small imperfections in each piece.
Should I just run the grouting float over the top and let the small areas fill with grout?
This may be a benefit in the shower area to reduce water ingress though I have tanked the area beforehand.

How would the pro's go about this?

15062008206.jpg

15062008208.jpg

Sponsored Links
before you even think about grouting those little beauties matey, you need to seal them, stain stop from lithofin, (available from most good tile sotres, and some ****ty ones) then yes by all means grout float will be ok.

Sealing isn't something I had even thought of. I'd better get some collected then!
Is this like a clear lacquer which is just painted onto the mosaic with a brush?

Might be a daft question but hey, I say there's no such thing as a daft question if you don't know the answer! The main tiles are ceramic, they don't need to be sealed do they?

no mate just the mosaics and yep get a tin and brush and wait till its dry then grout away.

Sponsored Links
Keep plenty of wet clean sponges available to clean excess grout off, you will be surprised how many times you have to wipe them.

The sponges will also set your grout slightly back from the tiles, giving a really good finish.

I would also seal after grouting.

Keep plenty of wet clean sponges available to clean excess grout off, you will be surprised how many times you have to wipe them.

The sponges will also set your grout slightly back from the tiles, giving a really good finish.

I would also seal after grouting.

Thanks very much. Will do.

Looks ok Gary, but you've fallen into making a basic error with your setting out. You've started from one wall with a full tile and then done the next course from the opposite wall. As you can see, your brickwork pattern is about 1 1/2" out. A little more thought and it would have been perfect. Oh well....

Looks ok Gary, but you've fallen into making a basic error with your setting out. You've started from one wall with a full tile and then done the next course from the opposite wall. As you can see, your brickwork pattern is about 1 1/2" out. A little more thought and it would have been perfect. Oh well....

Yeah it was my third tile I think (first full tile of the back wall). I noticed after an hour or so but didn't want to risk damaging the tanking. It doesn't stand out to me as being wrong but from a tilers point of view it would be noticeable.
At the time I though it was for the best as there would only ever be two cuts on the back wall compared to three every other run if it had been set out properly. That can only be good news where water is involved. We'll ignore the mosaics :D

Still, I'm more than happy for a first attempt at tiling though I do owe a lot to this forum and your good self (gcol).

Aww shucks.... :oops: If you ignore youre alignment issue, it looks a top job Gary. You won't see it with shampoo in your eye anyway. :LOL:

Just to pick up on gcol's comment - would you measure up and "split the difference" to prevent the pattern being offset, i.e. would you centre it up on the particular wall during setting out?

Yes, you find the centre line, then either start tiling outwards from that point or you centre the tile on the centre line and work out from there.

Actually, looking again at the photo above, I think that GaryMo might have done the right thing. Although the pattern does not line up, trying to maintain an even pattern would have ended up with a thinish sliver at each end of each alternate row. Gary, if anyone asks you about it - tell them that you wanted it like that in a stepped pattern. ;)

If anyone says anything about it say what the F... you doin' in my shower any way.. ;) Top job mate you did it be proud of it ......

Lol, just seen the further replies - gcol, that's exactly it. I did think you would have spotted it earlier though :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL:

Anyway, just popped on here to look at the sticky on grouting.
Marshalltown, paint kettle and roller tray ready, just need some peanut butter
Should be a fun day! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back