grouting over existing grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have put up travetine tiles on the bathroom and shower walls. Now, the missus insisted on only tiling the lines (gaps between the tiles) leaving the tiles themselves free of grout. So i did this. Looks good, however a real pig to clean, and gues who has to do that?

Anyway can i go back over the existing grout, very lightly mind, whilst also filling the tile gaps themselves, thereby getting a nice smooth surface?
Don't like the thought of it crumbling away later.

Sponsored Links
What will happen is that when you apply your grout with a squeegee you will fill all the natural holes in the tile but the existing grout lines will simply wipe clean when you wipe off the excess grout. I guess that's what you'd want to happen?

You can and should grout the whole face of any travertine surface (that's why you can buy pre-filled travertine). If you sealed the surface you'll still be ok to grout it now.

Sponsored Links
sod it. I'm gonna do it and see what happens. The wost that will happen is that it falls off and reverts back to how it is now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back