Grouting quarry tiles, to top surface or lip?

Thanks for all the tips, I just had another go and I'm still struggling, that first lip is so fine and shallow that the grout really doesn't want to stay on it, and if there's any height difference between two tiles (very common on this floor...) then it rubs right out of one side. Currently about 50% of the total grout line distance is in this condition:

C9ZsVRT.jpg

JI5CPdn.jpg

ySkQqqP.jpg

I will try to hold my nerve and wait hours instead of minutes to sponge off, but a lot of it happens when floating the grout in and scraping it off. I've tried to touch up every little bit I just did so we'll see how that goes when I sponge it later.

Sponsored Links
Hi, used these tiles plenty of times. You would find it impossible to grout to the 'lower' lip. Also, you will probably find that once the tiles have been grouted, the joint is going to look far bigger than you might have thought. For grout I usually use a silver sand/cement mix. Easy to work and rock solid once set. If you want to use grey grout make sure its a wide joint type. Mix it well and mix it stiff, to wet and you will have a terrible time! To get grout nice and flush with the edge of the tile, apply grout with a squeegee (I think that's how you spell it), then, throw dry grout over the whole floor and rub hard into the wet grout with a dry towel. Rub hard! Then with a damp sponge, or even better a washboy, wipe tiles over. Job done.

Doesn't the rubbing hard with a towel just tear all of the grout back out of the joints, especially from the shallow lips?

It seems that my main problems are where the tiles aren't exactly level. The lip is so shallow in places, like a finger nail's width, that if the tiles are off by this much (and many are) the grout rubs off, partially, from the high tile. Any particular solutions to this?

gotta say, after looking at the photos that lip really is close to the surface. You may well find that whatever you do its going to show through in places.

I dont know what these tiles were designed for but its surely not possible that they were meant for typical quarry floor tile use?

That thin grout lip will probably break away in time, and leave them looking terrible.

I'm not keen on the idea of dusting the floor with dry grout/cement powder - esp. for a DIY'er. I once watched sawdust being scattered to pick up a S&C grout haze, and it did a good job in the hands of professionals. But the actual grout lines were struck with grout sticks (wood dowels).

And as for rubbing a wet grout line with a dry towel (how many of them are to be found on site?) i've never done it or seen it done.

smp50,

given the difficulties, i think that you've done a great job judging by your pic. Hopefully you can lift that haze and finish with a respectable job.

Sponsored Links
I dont know what these tiles were designed for but its surely not possible that they were meant for typical quarry floor tile use?

That thin grout lip will probably break away in time, and leave them looking terrible.

I'm not keen on the idea of dusting the floor with dry grout/cement powder - esp. for a DIY'er. I once watched sawdust being scattered to pick up a S&C grout haze, and it did a good job in the hands of professionals. But the actual grout lines were struck with grout sticks (wood dowels).

And as for rubbing a wet grout line with a dry towel (how many of them are to be found on site?) i've never done it or seen it done.

smp50,

given the difficulties, i think that you've done a great job judging by your pic. Hopefully you can lift that haze and finish with a respectable job.

The haze comes off no worries, that was what I was concerned about before I started but it's funny how a completely unexpected problem arises instead! It happens a lot in these things.

I think you're right that the fragile bits of grout (sometimes less than a nail's thickness) will come off over time (if not immediately when I wipe it). Maybe I could paint the exposed bits of tile to match the grout???

I assume there is no possibly ambiguity as to which way up these tiles are meant to be laid?

Cheers
Richard

I assume there is no possibly ambiguity as to which way up these tiles are meant to be laid?

Cheers
Richard

Good point, but no - the bottoms are ridged and stamped with a name, etc.

Suspected as much. Then the lip seems an inexplicable bit of design. What's it meant to be for? If you are meant only to grout up to it, that creates a hollow for cr*p to collect in.

Cheers
Richard

Sorry to break the bad news to anyone who's installed these with the lip at the top, but that would be upside down. Had a contract job on steps with these, deliberated for a long time then eventually found the manufacturer, ketley. Discovered the lip is there so the factory robot can pick them up. Lip goes underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back