Grouting vinyl floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We got some cheap self adhesive floor tiles for the bathroom, and there are slight gaps between each one despite my best attempts. Is it possible to 'grout' between them?

If so, what to use? I have some leftover Mapei premixed Waterproof Fix and Grout but presumably this won't be any good for the floor as I think it's for walls only? If not, what is best to use?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I have used flexible powdered grout to grout between self adhesive floor tiles in our kitchen.
But really we only put this down as a temporary measure as the ceramic floor tiles underneath were all cracked and looked terrible. Not got the money at the moment to do a full kitchen replacement, including a knock through.
The grout does look good but I don't think it will last that well. It's only been down 3 months and I have had to patch the grout in a couple of places.
I intentionally left a 5mm gap between the self adhesive tiles for the grout, but i'm not sure how well it would work if you have stuck them down flush to each other.
Also might not be so good in a bathroom where the floor is likely to be wetter than in a kitchen...
Single piece of lino would be better.

Sponsored Links
We got some cheap self adhesive floor tiles for the bathroom, and there are slight gaps between each one despite my best attempts. Is it possible to 'grout' between them?

If so, what to use? I have some leftover Mapei premixed Waterproof Fix and Grout but presumably this won't be any good for the floor as I think it's for walls only? If not, what is best to use?

Thanks in advance
Far better to take them up and do it again properly

How about epoxy grout?
I've not tried it personally and have heard it is a pain to apply as it sets quickly, but it is supposed to be stronger than cement type grout.

I spaced my vinyl tiles and grouted them with pretty standard cement based grout. They lasted over ten years in a kitchen and people assumed it was a stone floor. In fact the vinyl layer wore through before the grout failed although a few bits were starting to come loose. They grout peel nd stick tiles all the time in the USA even pros do it "properly". Not everybody is in a position to strip out their kitchen completely, remove all previous floor coverings, screed it, tile it, put everything back let alone afford it at he moment!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back