Growing a plant up the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've planted this (don't even know what it is) but I'd like to grow all over the back of the house or at the very least up the drainpipe. So do I get a few metres of string, tie one end to the top of the trellice and then stretch it a few metres across the back of the house and nail it in? Then the plant grows along it? If so, would I use 'see through' fishing line or something rather than scabby string?

Complete novice here so TIA.

Matt

Attachments

• 20220505_153637 (002) (Copy).jpg
    20220505_153637 (002) (Copy).jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
How to knacker a house in two easy steps -

1) Inject the cavities with insulation

2) Grow plants up it

You forgot

3) Bring the ground level right up to the airbricks

I'm growing ivy on my shed, hopefully it will prolong the life of the shed.

Sponsored Links
I would use galvanised eyes into plugs in the wall and then galvanised wire between them. But if you don't even know why that plant is then how do you know it's suitable for training up a wall?

I agree with the air bricks comments above, but since you asked about the plant I'd say either screw trellis to the wall, or if you don't like the look, make a ladder of horizontal wires to tie it to.
If you use vertical wires it will slip down, so it would need some feature for the plant to grip on to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back