Plant growing through wall??

Sponsored Links
i removed about 5 of these today, does that mean my lawn is going to fall down?

I'm sorry to hear that you wet yourself at the start of the excitement.
Dont feel so challenged. Challenges seems to get you all worked up, and losing control.

Last time i encountered that kind of emotion was when i took the girls to some wretched boy band concert.
Poor things, they cried all the way home.

Perhaps the hysteria of the thread caused the other chaps, the echo's, to also damp down, and cry wee, wee, wee all the way home? Just saying.

Maybe its just a matter of you guys lacking experience in this area of remedial work? No problem, just post your knowledge concerns, and i'll do my best to answer them.

Stick with us, and i'll explain further below.

But please dont take bits of a post out of context; its dishonest. Merely read and follow the logic of the whole post - its really not that difficult.

Stuart, the "dandelion" is Ivy and possibly Japanese knotweed. If you have not already cleared it, treat it urgent with strong weed killer
It's the wall of the local Chapel, so the Pastor killed off all the plant life. I think most of the damage was done by the ivy, although the other plants had damaged the top stonework. It's amazing how much soil and plant life can get into these walls.

Sponsored Links
To those looking for further info. ref my original post in this thread:

The quotes below are from the Society for the protection of Ancient Buildings, and other technical resources.

"The natural world can have a devastating effect on old buildings. Even small plants can become a problem as their roots tend to break down mortar, and may even force joints open allowing water to penetrate the fabric."

"Plant tissues in the roots can cause incredible pressures as they grow."

"Weeds are so incredibly persistent that they will force their way up through concrete slabs."

Some councils: "Recommend spraying the sub-area soil below suspended floors with weed killer."

Dam maintenance throughout the world requires removal of weeds.

I've seen a number of situations where, with very little external indication, weeds inside of walls have forced out brickwork and caused enough damage to warrant a minor opening up and re-build.

We always spray weeds, never just cut them.

MunchingB,

I am sorry that you have such concerns for your lawn.

Perhaps, while you pass the years gazing at the grass, other events might be taking place in your house foundations.

I believe that Bill and Ben send you commiseration on your attempt at humour - apparently, they too, had similar problems.

The biggest killer of the stone walls round here is the strong cement repointing which traps moisture and allows the plant life to survive.

@dann09....

Remove head from ass. Stop being a weapon. Quit being a tool.

There are many threads that come close to winning the "Cheddar Horn" prize, but this one wins by country mile.

noseall,

i respect your opinion, so explain a little further. I'm certainly willing to learn.

sorry dann09

im a gardener and find it difficult to even imagine that the sonchus oleraceus can cause cosmetic and/or structural damage to a building unless the building itself had turned to sand already. there are the obvious bamboos and knot weeds that pull foundations and walls apart, ivy, buddleia and a pyracantha can put a hole in your fence and pull it over or lift the roof from rotting timbers.. but most weeds are pretty much(with exception)incidental to structural decay and not the cause of it. go and explore a house and garden that has been abandoned for 20 odd years and check out the size of your average nettle or dandelion and send me some pics of them chucking beer cans through the windows or whatever youre accusing them of : )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back