Thick roots growing in boundary wall, causing collapse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

See pics attached for detail. I have a dividing wall between me and a neighbor. This wall has shown signs of movement for a while, but in recent times some bricks have started to push out and mortar is falling off.

Like a game of jenga, I was able to pull a brick out and behind it is a 1 inch thick root growing. This root seems to grow horizontally along approx 65% of the wall, 3-4 courses of bricks deep within.

What are the chances I can poison and kill this thing and patch up the wall? Or will it be a case of removing several courses of bricks, extracting the root/weed somehow, and rebuilding?

Any other suggestions??

root.jpg wall.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can you get to the beginning of the root?
Do you know what tree it's from?
If so, cut it from the entry point and wait a few weeks before fixing the loose bricks and repointing.

Well it's a strange one, I couldn't see any entry from a tree of plant nearby. I think this thing made the wall it's home all by itself. There are little branches popping out the top of the wall, and some growing out of the other side (the neighbors side).

I think it's basically a parasite in the wall, rather than a nearby tree that has spread out. Is that possible? I can't imagine how it would take root and thrive in brick and mortar...

I'll try to do a more thorough inspection in the light.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back