Leaning plants

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I planted a syringa a few years and it has grown to be about 7 feet tall. The problem, however, with it is that rather than grow upwards in a straight line like the wall behind, it is leaning away from the wall. I thought about tying it back to the wall but it seems to thick stemmed now to train it as its angled from the base, does that make sense? Can someone help? Should i dig the thing up and reposition it although i guess the roots are pretty deep now?

Any help appreciated?

Matt

Sponsored Links
its being "encouraged" by either the wind or away from shade towards the light by the sounds off it

change the wind to average out
or protect it from the wind
that is assuming i am correct ;)

Sponsored Links
What big all said about sun may well be true but also when allowed to get higher than head height a lilac will often be 5/6 tall leggy stems. They then get top heavy with all the leaves and flowers and lean over.

To be honest you need to keep it in check as it grows and prune it into the form you want and let stems thicken enough to support themselves.

They will respond ok to hard pruning which should be done in winter. Normal pruning can be done after flowering and its worth cutting one stem to the ground to encourage new growth. which can then be kept in check with pruning to get the desired shape and height gradually.

just leave it grow as it wants and it will fill out in time. tie it back if its in the way but the more freedom you give it to sway with the wind-the stronger plant you'll have.

What big all said about sun may well be true but also when allowed to get higher than head height a lilac will often be 5/6 tall leggy stems. They then get top heavy with all the leaves and flowers and lean over.

To be honest you need to keep it in check as it grows and prune it into the form you want and let stems thicken enough to support themselves.

They will respond ok to hard pruning which should be done in winter. Normal pruning can be done after flowering and its worth cutting one stem to the ground to encourage new growth. which can then be kept in check with pruning to get the desired shape and height gradually.

This ^^^^^

Lilacs are notorious for becoming leggy if they're not maintained. I'd take down one third of the stems each year for three years and after that keep it bushy and compact. If it still has a tendency to lean, put in a tree stake or two behind it and tie it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back