GRP Roof into Pitched roof... advice needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I have had a flat roof installed to go in between an existing pitched roof and a flat roof. Its going to be an orangery room. Its been somewhat of a challenge to say the least.

As it stands now the orangery flat roof is on and water tight and their is a 300mm up stand of fibreglass going up the existing pitched roof on top of the rafters.

The flat roofing company have left it as below and waiting for a roofer to come and try replace the rosemarys.

According to the flat roofing company he thinks it wont be possible to put rosemarys back because their is only 1/2" an inch to work with between top of fibreglass and rosemarys.

He also thinks putting battens on top of the fibreglass will break the water tight integrity of the fibreglass?

Can any give me some advice on where to go from here?

Sponsored Links
Not sure what you mean by "there is only 1/2" to work with"?

You fix a tile batten as close to the upstand as is practical to allow the first course of roof tiles to lap down onto the flat roof material.

The flat roof guys should have incorporated a kicker fillet within the upstand to support the bottom edge of the first lapping course of tiles.

So long as the first course of tiles is lapping down onto the flat roof material by say 170mm then the job will be weathered. In other words your first tile batten can be set as much as 100mm up from the flat roof upstand.

If you are struggling with coursing through try a shorter eaves course as a starter or cut the bottom off the fist tile.

P.S. Where the bottom of your membrane sits is the position where the kicker fillet should have been moulded into the fibreglass.

P.P.S. The left hand lantern roof trimmer Easi-joist is upside down. The metal lattice should always be rising at the ends.

Sponsored Links
Hi mate thanks for your replies
I checked the posi beam but one end is up the other end down so don't see how both ends can finish up?
I understand the points you made reference the tiles and will give a few local roofers a ring and see what they say but what you say makes perfect sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back