GRP valley support

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a roofer slating my roof. He’s not put any additional timber support in at the valley.

Does he need to?

Thanks.

A092E67F-AB76-4507-8441-35721F7677A0.jpeg

Sponsored Links
There was no additional support before with the old clay valley tiles.

Before slating:
9E2B5FC5-4C18-401A-B6DA-E54FC7749295.jpeg

Inside:

14571B2D-883B-45C5-B693-ADBEAA1264E4.jpeg

I know lead deffo does need support, I thought GRP may not, could be wrong tho

Sponsored Links
When grp valley first came out it was sold as self supporting. It was supported on the batten running up each side.
slatings a bit scruffy

I looked at some of the manufacturers sites and yes, they said that support is required. Just wondered if it was common practice though.
I’ll ask the roofer next week when he returns. Can’t wait for that conversation!

What part of the slating is scruffy? Just so I know what I’m looking for.

Thanks.

• Here your grp noseall is a different kettle of fish.

In the op case i would not fret to much , it's a slate valley, no mortar. no need to stand in it.
      Where we have repaired a few grp valley it has never been because it had no lay board under.
      Yes I have seen no edge support, too small lap, missing saddles, angle grinder nicks.

Scruffy, fair few not laying flat (cockers) sorting and grading could be better. not the end of the world.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/media/roof-fun4.100609/#ixzz69mPbQ7ps

BTW, can anyone with a keen eye spot the mistake here:

(Clue: right hand side of picture)

C9E29240-C615-4AED-B711-D0AFFB859FE0.jpeg

Last edited:
I know a bloke who went through a grp valley I think that might be part of the reason for manufacturers insisting on some timber support.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back