Grundfos Alpha 2L Smart Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll be replacing the old Myson CH pump next month and wondered if a Grundfos Alpha 2L smart pump would be suitable.

I have an open vented Y-Plan system, small 2 bed house. The pump flow is from top to bottom.

Grundofs' online document indicates not to install an Alpha 2L upside down: on page 7 of http://net.grundfos.com/Appl/WebCAPS/Grundfosliterature-5173525.pdf

The daft question is does anyone know if this matters for smart pumps in general, as non-smart pumps can be installed upside down?

I checked this thread to try and answer my question...
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=354929#354929

Sponsored Links
You can take out the four allen bolts and rotate the pump head so that the plug is facing downward. You could have the devil's own job clearing the airlocks though on a downward flow.

You can take out the four allen bolts and rotate the pump head so that the plug is facing downward. You could have the devil's own job clearing the airlocks though on a downward flow.

Don't fancy taking a new pump apart!

I get a little airlock on hw only after a drain and refill. It goes eventually after flicking pump speeds up and down.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

You can take out the 4 allen bolts and place the head in any way you want but the pump will still pump in the same direction as the arrow on the body ????? the head can only pump in one direction, it is the orientation of the body that changes the direction of the flow, not where the head is located on the body, the only reason you would change the orientation of the head is for ease of electrical connection, or so that the writing is the correct way up

doesn't matter whether you change the head relative to the body, or the body relative to the head, they both amount to the same thing as long as the arrow is pointing in the direction of flow. I think we are both talking about the same thing in different terms.

Sorry Moggett have re read your post and yes we are in agreement, its the OP that mentions from top to bottom flow and upside down flow, the only flow direction is the arrow on the body

No problem. I advised the OP to rotate the head, noting that Scarum had already realised that the body had to be turned round to achieve downward flow which left the electrics in a forbidden position.

Sincere thanks for the apology.

... all is fine, I've removed the bolts, rotated the pump head and retightened=... ready for P-Day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back