Help balancing Grundfos Alpha2 pump, ICOS IDEAL condensing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am having banging pipes issues, after which the boiler is regularly cutting out,... and hoped that someone on here could steer me in a direction to balancing out my pipes.
It is an open vented system with only one bedroom with TRV's on two radiators. It is a two pipe system on rads, although the Grundfos instructions recommend a PP2 setting I have found it makes no difference which setting it is on.
I have an IDEAL Icos Condensing boiler which I am not sure of its minimum flow rate requirement, but I have attached the manual. The is a graph but no apparent further written details.
I have a Grundfos Alpha 2L pump, info also attached.
Also an inline Honeywell Automatic Bypass Valve, info also attached.
I am having problems with the system banging on startup and believe that it could be down to these settings.
I have drained the system down on a number of occasions and after filling bled all rads, they are all running hot and without any apparent airlock issues. The toilets, showers and taps all operate without spluttering or evidence of airlock. (this is once the system is up and running)
Once the system has been started a few times the banging stops and all runs ok, I currently have the Pump set to PP2 and the ABV set to 1 as I had read that this meant the valve was pretty much open all the time and was less likely to cause problems.
I am planning to bleed the system down this weekend as I am having the old external lead pipe fitted to the stop tap replaced with a modern plastic variety. When I fill it back up obviously I will add some inhibitor and I am going to fit a Fernox TF1 on the boiler return pipe. Not that I believe the system is particularly dirty but as a precautionary measure.
I am also going to also fit an automatic air vent above the Fernox and another above the water cylinder. I am trying to make sure there is no air left in these pipes.
I have had a boiler engineer come and run diagnostics on the ICOS IDEAL HE30 and he told me by way of a computer reading it is running at 110% efficiency!... so I have discarded the idea that this is at fault.
See pics of current set up and plans to install, including documents... link...
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2c2xthz9c8mduwi/AAB_dEMgOzI_TjOUmlDvZQiia?dl=0

Any further advice would be appreciated regarding the settings on the Alpha and ABV.

Sponsored Links
The incoming mains water will have no effect on the central heating (other than if there is no water supply the F&E tank will go low level and eventually your system will run out of useable water.)

I have had a boiler engineer come and run diagnostics on the ICOS IDEAL HE30 and he told me by way of a computer reading it is running at 110% efficiency!.

Perhaps a qualified engineer can explain how diagnostics can produce an efficiency of more than 100%,

More than 100%,... a questionable figure, but presented to me as fact! The point is, he couldn't find anything wrong with the boiler.
Besides, the external water pipe being changed is a completely different matter. We had a pipe split over Christmas which led to a massive £1650 bill, luckily Severn Trent waived £1400 after making an 'Allowance Claim', we were then told that this leniency is only offered once,... so replacing the lead pipe for £1000 seems like a wise investment.

Sponsored Links
Came home tonight to find the system hard to start...
The pump was flashing like mad, not seen it do that before, not sure if this is a pump problem, the board or timer, or something else,... Any ideas?
After half an hour turning off and on it sprang back into life as usual and is now on!... Pumping away, rads all fine and hot.
Anyone else had this? Got a fix?

I assume the pump is knackered. Hoping it is not the board! Off to buy a replacement pump.

Amazing how you love to read all the manufacturer's blurb and then come to your own conclusion as to what is wrong.

A proper heating engineer will be able to diagnose exactly what is wrong and what settings should be used and solve your problems.

Tony

What computer did he use for these readings?

Oh hang on I've just seen the pictures ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back