Grundfos JP4 and JP5 booster pumps...noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Customer had a JP4 pump (This is a water supply lifting pump to supply a roof tank from a private water tank in a field fed from a spring), nice and quiet and then it leaked. He bought a JP5 and got another plumber to install it..its VERY noisy. Other plumber is unwell ( he is a friend so its genuine) so I've been asked to try and sort it out.

I suspect the supply is inadequate for the pump as its only in 22mm over at least 30metres, and there is pretty well no head at all, maybe even negative head.

I installed a check valve..made no difference. I'm off back to check flow rates and pressure with my gauges tomorrow. I just wondered if other people know this pump and if they have found it noisy. It does seem to be cavitating so I suspect inadequate supply (It improves slightly when you throttle down the outlet gate valve by a turn or two).

Its a mystery in that the JP4 behaved perfectly until it pi**ed in its pants.

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
Well..the answer is to install the ejector valve in position one, and to throttle back the outlet regulator which reduces cavitation and keep flow rate at around 16-18 litres/min...which is more than adequate.

Its still noisy, but a lot less noisy.

Not that anybody is interested :mrgreen: :LOL: :mrgreen: :LOL:

Alfredo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back