Grundfos Pump Overheat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a grundfos pump which is hot to the touch even though it has not been used all summer i.e. no central heating has been used for a couple of weeks. The power switch is on and is supplying power to the pump. I have turned this switch off for safety. I have not tested it yet, but there had been alot of clicking from the overheat valve previously. Do i need a new pump?

Sponsored Links
if you have a fully pumped system the pump don't just work on heating it also works when heating hw.

what system etc have you ?

...but there had been alot of clicking from the overheat valve previously. Do i need a new pump?
If all works fine, you don't need a new pump.
What do you mean exactly with: "overheat valve", and when did it click a lot?

The plumbing system is oil fired and has its own pump.

This pump is located off a boiler located behind an open fire. There is a thermostat linked to one of the pipes from this boiler controlling the pump.

Sorry, it is an expansion valve, starts clicking once the boiler gets warm.

The pipes either side of the pump are not warm, i can't see how the pump can be warm. This is why i think there is something up with the pump electrics.

I've changed pumps before, just want to make sure i am not replacing a good pump. Even if were to work, i think it is strange to be so warm even though it is doing nothing.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
If the pipes either side are cold, pump could be running dry, better check that.

The pump may well be seized up.

Look at the FAQ on this site about testing pumps.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back