GRUNDFOS UPS2 15/50-60

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,After looking on the grundfos web site for a replacement for my 15/60 pump I purchased a UPS2,it told me it was a direct replacement.I could use the old body and just change the motor.Looking at the instructions (page 5) it shoes the pump in a vertical position pumping upwards,i need it to pump downwards so is it O.K to turn the pump upside down.I have gravity hot water and pumped heating,pump on return to boiler.its also got a suppressor lead I know why,but its got the same fittings on both ends does it matter what way round it goes

Sponsored Links
The old body is what determines the direction of the pump. You can bolt a new grundfos head onto the grunfos pump body in any orientation. Just as long as it:

complies with the manufacturers instructions

;)

Leave the body as it is. Put the head on with the display reading upwards, as the instructions say. Done.

As TCCHeating said, the body is what determines flow direction. Which you're leaving as already installed.

Sponsored Links
Hi all,Thanks for your speedy replys.But the question still is will the UPS2 work upside down,vertical on the return to the boiler.

Hi all,Thanks for your speedy replys.But the question still is will the UPS2 work upside down,vertical on the return to the boiler.
Yes, it will work. But it might be relevant to know why you need to change the head, i.e why the old one failed.

Hi,old pump working O.K.Thought I would change it in the summer rather than winter.( I got the new pump cheap) will also have a working spare.

There are several possible aspects to address!

Do you have an auto bypass?

Tony

Hi,No auto bypass.Potterton kingfisher 2 boiler,gravity H/W,Cytrol valve,Pumped heating.

Did you know you could perhaps save about 10% of your gas consumption by having it converted to pumped hot water?

Tony

I don't think you have understood the previous posts fully to be honest! If you are connecting to the old pump body, as you suggest in your original post. Why would you want to fit it upside down??? Just fit it the right way up and it will still pump in the same direction as the old pump!

It will probably work fine upside down, and it will still pump in the same direction as if it was the right way up, but if the pump ever leaks, the electrics will be vulnerable to water ingress, this is why grundfos, and me say you should fit it the right way up!

Either i am going mad, or you are not understanding the basic operational principles of a pump. Please excuse me if it is indeed me that is going mad, but i certainly hope i am correct, if not i have been wrong for the last 30 years.

Ps: if i have misunderstood completely and you want to turn the WHOLE pump including body the other way, why would you want to do this? Unless there is a problem with your system that you have not mentioned?

I don't think you have understood the previous posts fully to be honest! If you are connecting to the old pump body, as you suggest in your original post. Why would you want to fit it upside down??? Just fit it the right way up and it will still pump in the same direction as the old pump!
The new (complete) pump, is assembled so that, when the front is the correct way up, i.e you can read it, the arrow is pointing upwards. But the existing pump has the arrow pointing downwards and the writing on the front is the correct way up. The OP assumes that, if the new pump is turned upside down, so the arrow is pointing downwards, it won't work becasue the writing will then be upside down.

The problem is that the OP hasn't appreciated that the head can be rotated relevant to the body and it will still pump in the direction of the arrow on the body.

Hi,thank you all for your comments.I think the words upside down are causing the confusion.The grundfos instructions on page 5 show the arrow on the pump body pointing upwards with a water flow symbol pointing upwards next to it.I took this to mean that the pump should only be used to pump upwards when in the vertical position.But I want to turn the pump 180 degrees and pump into the boiler return as the old pump does.Forget about what I said about using the old body its confusing the issue I will change the whole unit.Now for the answer I am looking for,with the pump upside down will the electronicts be confused by the information it receives from the pump motor,the electronicts must check the load on motor and adjust the pump speed.Will the pump pulse or regulate its speed

Just fit the whole new pump, and all you need to do is make sure the arrow is pointing the same direction as the existing one. Dont worry if the writing on the front is upside down. like for like

Hi,thank you all for your comments.I think the words upside down are causing the confusion.The grundfos instructions on page 5 show the arrow on the pump body pointing upwards with a water flow symbol pointing upwards next to it.I took this to mean that the pump should only be used to pump upwards when in the vertical position.But I want to turn the pump 180 degrees and pump into the boiler return as the old pump does.Forget about what I said about using the old body its confusing the issue I will change the whole unit.Now for the answer I am looking for,with the pump upside down will the electronicts be confused by the information it receives from the pump motor,the electronicts must check the load on motor and adjust the pump speed.Will the pump pulse or regulate its speed

Have a look at the new pump. Can you see the four allen bolts? Undo all 4 of them, remove the head and rotate 180 degrees and refit, tighten the 4 allen bolts back up and bobs your uncle. Hope this finally answers your question ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back