Grundfoss 15-50/60 130

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Myson Apollo Fanfare 30-50S boiler mounted in an airing cupboard on my landing. For many months, the boiler had been making a loud groaning noise whenever the burner assembly ignited. I then changed the pump (about 3 weeks before Christmas 2014) to a new Grundfoss UPS2 15-50/60 130 and that seemed to resolve the problem (previous pump was a Potterton Myson Celsia Multi Head)

In early January however the boiler started making a banging/clattering noise on boiler start up. The boiler shuts of after a few seconds then tries again about 30 seconds later. At the third attempt, it seems to start ok and continues working fine for hours until it switches of (under programmer control). All (the noise) starts again the next time the programmer switches to 'on'.

I have noticed for the duration of the banging/clattering noise that the newly fitted pump is not actually running but instead is making a regular clicking noise. After about 1-2 minutes, the pump then starts and continues to runs as normal and no more noise is evident. It seems to me that the pump should start at the same time as the boiler starts up allowing water to pass through the combustion chamber thus avoiding the banging/clattering noise which I assume to be 'kettling'.

A couple of weeks ago the pump overrun thermostat was changed (in the belief that was the cause of the problem). However the problem remained.

A few days ago I temporarily removed the boiler power supply to the pump and fed direct 240v mains to it via a 5A fused plug (at the suggestion of Grundfoss). The pump did not start at switch on and similar symptoms outlined above were noticed – that is to say, a regular clicking noise (at about 3-4 second intervals) was heard before the pump started fully after about a 1-2 minute startup delay. It doesn’t seem to matter whether the speed switch is on I, II or III”. This information was passed back to Grundfoss and they have simply suggested I return it to my supplier.

My reason for posting this issue is that another similar post exists on this website concerning a design problem with the exact same pump. However according to Grundfoss, the problem only affects pumps with a PC code of 1425 or less. The PC code of mine is more recent (1426) and therefore doesn't according to Grundfoss, have the same design defect.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem ?

Sponsored Links
UPS2 has had problems your merchant won't be suprised to get it back
other makes of pump are also available ;)

Sponsored Links
OP, did you get a resolution to this problem? I am experiencing the exact same fault with my new UPS2.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back