Grunfoss 15-50 Noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bit of a weird one.... our Grundfoss 15-50 heating pump has worked fine up until this Christmas. One night I thought I could hear a car engine running, but it was the pump. Sometimes it's quiet, but others it whines and vibrates a bit - like the bearings are worn, also a whistle can be heard sometimes.

Now, if you turn off the programmer and the pump stops, you can hear air bubbles, when they stop and you turn on the programmer the pump seems to run quiet.

The pump then runs quiet for a while but after some time starts making the noise again.

So it seems like it's getting air in the pump?

Does that sound correct?

If so what do you think is the cause?

Your views please.

Many thanks in advance.

DB

Sponsored Links
Could either have some debris in the system, some air or a restriction in the pipework causing the pump to work hard or be deprived of water.

Make sure your system is fully blead of air, that the header tank is full or the system filled to 1.5 bar if its sealed.

Switch on all rads and run for a while and the air may clear, blead rads and see how you go!

I've bled all the rads, the header tank is OK.

It's a vented system.

It sounds OK at the moment, will wait and see in a few hours.

Tnx :)

Looked at a problem last weekend and thought pump was related.
Pump would not run when tested from separate power supply.
Removed pump to find both inlet and outlet side almost completely blocked with black crud. These were down to 3 or 4 mm.
Also explains why the pump valves could not be closed.
Suggest you remove pump for examination
:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
My 15/50 was making a similar noise. Sometimes it would quieten down but the noise would steadily return. I also found, when it was running quietly, that bleeding the air from the screw provided above the valves just brought the noise back.
I've now fitted a 15/60 and all is silent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back