Grunfos pump problem - help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would be really grateful for an advice.

I had (still have) a small leak in my central heating pipe (small enough to be able to cope with it by changing a cloth on the floor underneath every day). I know, it should've been fixed long ago.

Anyway, we were going on holidays for a fortnight so i had drained the system. Today after i filled it up again and the pump wouldnt start. It makes humming noises and heats up but wouldnt work. My idea is that rust or some other kind of debris has dried inside it and probably it's just needing a good push.

Is there any way I could start the pump from the outside without taking it apart? It's a Grunfos UPS 15-50 130 model.

Many thanks in advance. I cant even have a bath or wash my dishes.

Sponsored Links
Undo and remove the silver screw on the front of the pump. Have a rag handy as water will dribble out. Get a small bladed electricians type screwdriver and insert that into the slot on the end of the shaft. Twist back and forth to free up. Don't have the power on though :eek: . Replace silver screw and Robert should be your mother's brother.

Thank you ever so much. Everything's working now. Just thinking that I could've taken the whole pump off makes me shiver... Off to have that bath

:(
It's all not that good...

The pump is pumping ok but the boiler wouldnt ignite. So it's just pumpig cold water around.

The boiler makes clicking noises but i cant see the pilot light. Any ideas please?... It's a mega-old Glow-Worm or something (sorry it doesnt have any means of identification).

Sponsored Links
Sounds like either muck in the pilot injector, if it has one, of a stuck or knackered gas valve. Have you 230V to the gas valve?

I think I have.. Anyway it looks like I'll have to get an engineer as gas fittings are beyond my DIY abilities. Thanks

Try firmly 'tapping' the gas valve whilst it is trying to ignite.

Tapping of what i hink is the gas valve didnt help. Also i discovered a yellow button with a flame and an arrow depicted on it. Pushing the button in the direction of the arrow didnt bring any result either so I'm leaving it till tomorrow.
Many thanks for all your help

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back