GU10 and GU5.3 problem in sons new house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, sons just moved into a new (to him) house.

kitchen has 3 GU10 bulbs in light fitting, landing has 6 GU5.3 bulbs. All halogen.

Only one of the six on the landing was working. I removed one of the others (which is how I found out they were GU5.3) and only two of the three GU10 in the kitchen were working.

I got LEDs to replace them all, fitted the three in the kitchen and they didn’t work. Tried the original halogens, still didn’t work, put LEDs back in, still not working.

The one working light on the landing now no longer worked (Led for these won’t be here until tomorrow).

I put back the (blown) halogen in the landing that I removed earlier, now the working halogen flickered on and off, as did the kitchen lights. After a couple of mins kitchen lights and one working landing light started working perfectly.

kitchen lights are mains voltage, landing lights are 12v.

Anyone any idea what’s going on please?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The mains voltage GU10 lamps unless on a dimmer switch should be OK with LED, the 12 volt G5.3 lamps depends on transformer with the electronic type they often need a load to switch on and the LED lamps often don't present enough load to work.

Thanks, what I don’t understand is how removing one 12v halogen caused both the GU5.3 and the GU10 bulbs not to work. All the other lights worked 100% fine.

As soon as I replaced (blown) halogen, as said in my original post, both the GU10 and GU5.3 started flickering for a min or two and now appear to be working fine. Second I turn lights on, they’re on.

it doesn’t make any sense as the landing has 12v and the kitchen 230v and all other lights in house worked fine, including bathroom that also has GU10 bulbs. How can replacing a blown halogen bulb make both the kitchen and landing spring into life?

Sponsored Links
I found a loose connection, all seems fine now, however I noticed one of the 6 ballast for the 12v has the mains lives wired N and the Neutral wired to L. Does this matter?

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back