gu10 bulb and fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a number of 50W bulbs in a living room. One isn't working and I've changed the bulb to no avail.

I understand the problem is that each of these bulbs has a separate fuse attached and that is what has probably blown. Is that right?

What fuse do I need to buy and is it a big deal to change them?

I'm living in ireland - and I think the fixtures are the same as in the UK

Sponsored Links
There could be a couple of reason for this fault.
Are they downlights(the ones that have a hole cut out and fit flush with the ceiling)?
If so they could be on transformers, some downlights operate on them.
If you remove the clip that holds the 50W luminaire(bulbs) in place, then let the luminaire drop, give it a gentle pull and the tranny should be up in the hole nearby and wired to the end of it. Isolate the circuit prior to doing this! That could be your problem they do break and need to be replaced.
The other thing is loose connections, if it is just the one lamp that is down, it could well be the end of a chain and the Live or Neutral has been disconnected. The loose connection could be at the location of the faulty light or at the next previous one, so worth checking them all, again up in the hole and circuit isolated.
But most likely the tranny, unless you have rodents that like to chew cables.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys,

I think it is a transformer.

I was confusing the issue calling them GU10 - I have those elsewhere in the house.

Always good to have people who can read through your mistakes,

ttm

Back