GU10 Downlight advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Just after a little advice please as we are just starting to go through the process of selling our house and will have to go through a home buyers survey soon..

We have downlights in our kitchen which has a bedroom above it and I know through other diy jobs that the downlighters are not sealed and do not have fire hoods on them - do I need to replace these with the newer firehood built in types ?

Also, the bedroom and bathroom have exactly the same downlights fitted with the attic above it. I have also noted that there is no loft insulation directly around the fittings and the attic has been boarded.

We have never had any issue with these but I'm not sure whether the report will pick up on them or whether just to sort them anyway.

I could replace the kitchen ones with the newer types and I was thinking of just cutting a hole above each light in the attic to let some of the heat out ?

I suppose I don't want to start any jobs that I don't need to as if I was to update everything in the house to current regulations I'm sure I would be staying for a good while later.

Thanks for any advice

Mitch

Sponsored Links
do I need to replace these with the newer firehood built in types ?
Not unless:

1) That ceiling needs to be more than 30 minute rated

2) You installed the lights.

If (2) applies, and you did it within the last 7 years, do you have all of the Building Regulations approvals? Inter alia that would have covered off the Part B requirements.

We have never had any issue with these but I'm not sure whether the report will pick up on them or whether just to sort them anyway.
IMO the chances that the guy doing the survey will go into the loft to look at things like that are slimmer than those of someone leaking a sex video involving Liz, Phil and the corgis.

More likely is that some buyers will be put off by the mere presence of downlighters, and will walk away rather than face the upheaval of replacing all the ceilings.

I was thinking of just cutting a hole above each light in the attic to let some of the heat out ?
That would contravene the Building Regulations - don't do it.

I suppose I don't want to start any jobs that I don't need to as if I was to update everything in the house to current regulations I'm sure I would be staying for a good while later.
There's no requirement to bring things up to date.

It's a buyer's market - save your money for sorting anything your particular buyer cares about.

PS - Building Regulations related comments apply to E&W - if you're in S or NI the rules are different.

Hi mate,

Thanks for that - the house is a part exchange so will not be bothered about putting people off with downlights just curious to whether the report would mention them for replacement.

Think they were put in around 2004ish

Regards,

Mitch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back