GU10 holder with GU10 extender - confused??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks - new to this so please treat with kid gloves:)
One the spotlights in our kitchen has blown and rather than being a straight new bulb, its actually melted and fractured away the GU10 housing.
On inspection I can actually break away the casing and low and behold the holder that it sits in is also GU10 - so that's easy I thought, just fit the bulb direct into the main holder - trouble is the mains fuse board doesn't appear to like it and whilst the bulb works fine the fuse board does pop every now and then.
My question is two-fold - is it safe to fit the bulb direct to the main holder (ALL the spotlights are the same so its not some dodgy home DIY thing going on) OR should I buy a GU10 to GU10 extender ceramic holder (it sonly about 10cm deep) and if so where.
Thanks all - your input greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi, have tried to link a photo but its not working.
I was on another site earlier and it was talking about the "new regulations" for GU10 holders and it was implying they had some form of secondary ceramic holder in front of the back one - if that's the case it means my spotlights are probably this newer type but surely they should still work even if the front part breaks away - the back section is still GU10 after all?

Sponsored Links
Ok so I may be new to this site but I'm not an idiot - I don't think there's any reason to talk to me like a child - of COURSE I have read the instructions, its just not working for me that's all.
Unless you can actively contribute to the reply please don't reply further.

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings…..you'd be surprised how many people just don't know that there are instructions to follow.

If you are having problems, drop your picture somewhere like Photobucket and post the IMG link into your post.

I am guessing without photo but there is a L2 GU10 holder designed for new builds which has a pin in the centre to stop halogen bulbs from being fitted you can only use the special L2 LED bulbs with a hole up the centre. However these bulbs are expensive and the standard LED bulb without hole are both easier to locate and cheaper so maybe some adaptor has been fitted to allow the cheaper bulbs to be used?

The standard lighting supply in a house is 5 or 6 amp as many of the fittings are only rated 5 or 6 amp like the ceiling rose and swapping LED bulbs for halogen bulbs could overload the system and of course be a fire risk as the fitting may not be designed to take that heat.

But really we need a photo I am only guessing based on you saying the fuse pops every now and again. I assume not really a fuse but a MCB or RBCO but if halogen have been fitted where designed for LED the MCB/RCBO tripping would make sense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back