Recessed GU10 in a bathroom

Got my bit of chocbox... going to fit it this evening. Will be just stuffing the earth wire into one end of the chocbox and nothing in the other side, thereby 'terminating' it safely. If the light fitting works and all is OK, I'm going to go get some more and replace the awful finickety ones - with various parts that fall out the bottom and three connections - with these ones that seem a much better design... they're very cheap and the zone limitation is fine...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-fixed-round-mains-voltage-bathroom-downlight-brushed-chrome-240v/78571

Sponsored Links
Fitted this last night. Terminated the earth wire with a chocbox. Found out the diameter of this GU10 fitting was slightly larger than the existing one, dunno why - you'd think they'd be the same - so had to file around the hole and cram it in. Light is now back to working.

The old fitting I took out has "F.L.I 4653/220 IP65 GU10 220V MAX 50W CL1" written on it... it would be nice to be able to find that on the Internet so I can get hold of the same piece of glass to replace the one I dropped. So the search continues...

Thanks for all the help!

Eventually found out that F.L.I. means the "Formula Luci Italia" company.

Their GU10 light fittings seem to have a different sized glass cover than the ones I've bought from the UK (Screwfix)... the F.L.I. ones are slightly larger so trying to use the glass cover from the one I got from Screwfix means it is liable to drop out, even when held in by the metal retaining clip.

4653 is the code for Chrome. 220 is the voltage (obvious now). Bezel is 82mm and cut-out is 72mm. So maybe I just need to find something that matches that.

What I find strange is that the GU10 fitting I bought from Screwfix claims a cut-out of 66mm - but I had to file around the edges of the existing hole for it to fit in. 66mm is smaller than 72mm in my book!

Also, what makes a bit more sense is that the Screwfix GU10 fitting, by LAP, bezel diameter is 80mm... whereas the F.L.I. one is said to be 82mm - that could easily explain the different in the glass part diameter, I suppose.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back