1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Convert downlighter to GU10

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by MenBehavingBadly, 15 Jan 2020.

1. MenBehavingBadly

MenBehavingBadly

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi again

Does anyone know the manufacturer for this 12V downlighter ? The bulb is quite recessed

Looking for something similar for GU10s or ideally convert this to GU10

I guess I could use a simple GU10 holder but the current bulb is held in place via springs so not sure that would work unless same manufacturer as the casing

Many thanks

upload_2020-1-15_21-42-59.png

2. delmel

delmel

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That is a beast, not seen one like that and I have seen hundreds. I would measure the whole and get either a new led fitting or GU10 nearest size you can. You cant make the hole smaller but you can make it bigger (check joist positions first in case someone installed to close)

3. Lucid

Lucid

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was faced with a similar situation at home. It worked out cheaper and far far less hassle just to change the whole fitting.

Buggering about trying to find the right bits to convert the existing fittings is possible of course. But if you add the cost of the time for that, plus factor in some contingency for the unforeseen issues that will inevitably crop up during the refit, then on balance you should come down in favour of new fittings.

To put it another way, if you still insist on trying to adapt them, sooner or later you'll be cursing that you wasted a lot of time and a heap of money doing this.

Here endeth the lesson by the man who bought the tee-shirt (y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Is there also an issue here of needing to provide an earth, when having a 240v fitting? Can you add one in a way that is compliant?

Just measure the whole, and you can probably find some alternative units for a few quid each. Will be just as quick to do, and far less hassle.

5. Sponsored Links
  6. MenBehavingBadly

MenBehavingBadly

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks all

I agree that replacing the whole lot would be easiest but SHMBO is expressing a strong preference for retaining these fittings ....

So the solution seems to be just replacing the 12v transformer with a 12V LED driver - and replacing the bulbs themselves with LEDs ... I was hoping to avoid the drivers but ... seems to work

7. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I doubt the fitting is double insulated, and so you risk in a failure situation, the fitting becoming live.

Replace them, it's the non-lethal option.

8. MenBehavingBadly

MenBehavingBadly

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks - I'm putting in 12V LEDs so is that a problem ? LED driver in ceiling void

9. phatboy

phatboy

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry I mis-read. Crack on.... but buy 1 or 2 drivers more than you need if you have lots to replace, saves hassle later

Sponsored Links