Earthing 230v GU10 metal downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Intending to convert some existing 12v metal downlights to GU10, to eliminate the transformers and to convert to LED.

Existing downlighters are bog-standard, non-fire rated, usual sort of things.

How essential is it to earth these fittings?

GU10 lampholder flex will be joined to mains wiring using an enclosure.

Have seen many people not bothering to earth the fittings when converting to LED, assuming they are satisfied they have created something double-insulated.

I should point out the existing wiring doesn't have an earth present, and would be difficult to provide one.

Your thoughts on this please.

Sponsored Links
How essential is it to earth these fittings? .... GU10 lampholder flex will be joined to mains wiring using an enclosure. .... Have seen many people not bothering to earth the fittings when converting to LED, assuming they are satisfied they have created something double-insulated.
Are you asking for a 'reasonable practice' / 'common sense' answer, or an answer in relation to regulatory compliance?
I should point out the existing wiring doesn't have an earth present, and would be difficult to provide one.
Ah!

Is this in your own house, or for a customer etc.?

Kind Regards, John

It's a customer, all done in two core flex.

I suppose regulatory compliance has to be the issue here.

I think many would say it's fine, though I have doubts.

Sponsored Links
I don't see what difference converting to LED makes.

Are the lights Class 2 or not?

It doesn't make any difference, just a bit of background info I could have omitted.

The lights were for 12v, if the cables are insulated and sheathed, and the connector in an enclosure, does this make them Class 2 when used for 230v?

My instinct says yes, having seen some of the metal fittings that are classed as Class 2.

Some that are earthed only rely on the contact between the bracket prong and spring.

So I see, the new lampholders come with the bracket with an earth connection, which has caused me to think about this.

Such a poor contact to earth on one hand suggests it's not essential, yet on the other hand, it's still earthed.

I had considered discarding the bracket, so the connections and wiring are not 'fixed' to the metalwork, but can't decide if that would be good enough.

I think that would be even worse.

The problem, surely, is making the lamp holder leads Class 2 - double insulation and cable restraint.
They would just be loose and resting on the body.

How essential is it to earth these fittings?
Absolutely.

As is confirming that the whole assembly will be officially rated for 230V once you've converted it.

Bit of a show-stopper....

Ok, best look into getting some rewiring done.

Keen to make these 230v as transformers too prone to failure.

I'll have a closer look at the GU10 lampholder leads before starting too, I suppose these ought to be insulated and sheathed, not even sure if they are as such.

And just replace the lights with integrated LED ones of a known good make.

No, after 5 years even the best ones could produce a few random duff ones.

This way I won't get pestered in trying to source matching replacements every few months.

Besides, customer can't decide between cool white and warm white, so I don't want to be messing about.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back