Recessed GU10 in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a bathroom with those GU10 bulbs that are recessed into the ceiling, held in by spring-loaded clips and hidden in the fitting behind a circle of glass, a rubber ring and another metal spring thing.

Changing the bulbs in these is always a challenge, but they are there and always have been, and I guess they were designed like that to be safe in environments where this is water and steam. That's not to say I have to like them! ;)

Today I was changing two of these and while one went fine, when I pulled the second one out of the ceiling hole, I actually noticed that one wire was not connected - I probably did this while yanking around on it. :oops:

I've taken a close look at it, the grey / beige GU10 holder part, and there's no screws for me to get inside the bit where the wire has disconnected... there's nothing to un-tighten and re-tighten, maybe I need to replace the whole thing when this happens?

I just don't know, so I'm hoping someone can advise whether this kind of thing is an easy-peasy repair or whether I need to buy something to replace it - like everything from the back bit down to the GU10 holder, or whole new fitting?

If I did have to replace the fitting... is there a better (easier, newer) type of fitting for this kind of light - recessed GU10 in a bathroom environment?

As always - any input is appreciated. I've added a picture here - excuse my chubby fingers.

GU10.jpg

Sponsored Links
BTW... would add - happy to hire a professional if necessary, just curious if that is needed. Don't really want to knacker it up any more.

Thanks, would I buy that and just remove that clamp? My fittings don't have those clamps... or they don't seem to... at least, not like that one pictured. I guess I can unscrew wires going into the black part and then just take the old one out and replace with this swanky new - and very expensive - one?

Or is that bit connecting the black plastic bit in my picture to the stainless steel ring bit the clamp? I didn't take a very close look, but I thought it was some sort of semi-flexible ribbon type cable... but that doesn't make sense, I suppose.

I'll just go buy one and figure it out... can't be spoonfed all day. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Whichever way is best for you.
The clamp may 'fit' - they're not exactly brilliant.

I couldn't find just the lamp-holder on its own.

After looking at numerous pictures on-line, I now reckon I can buy this item, I can unscrew 2 screws at the black box end, leaving me with the GU10 holder and its 2 wires, I can unscrew the existing GU10 holder and 2 wires from the one in the bathroom, and I can then connect the new GU10 holder to the existing black box in my picture, leaving all the other gubbins as it previously was... no concerns about clamps etc..

This is my plan.

Nothing can go wrong.

Or maybe I do need the black box to be new as well... I'll figure it out.

No just replace the lamp holder which comes with the two wires attached. These connect into the terminals in the black box.

I would recommend you fit an led lamp as a replacement for the old halogen one as they last much much longer and use a lot less electricity too.

I have fitted this semi-successfully today.

I have pulled out the old fitting and replaced it with the new one. I've never come across something so fiddly. I could not help but think what a terrible design this is... anyway, got the black pieces of plastic out of the way, unscrewed the terminals, pulled out the live, neutral and earth, took the connector box out of the new fitting and put the new fitting on, replaced the connector box and affixed the black plastic covers, connected the metal bit to the metal bit of the light fitting and bent it so it was in much the same shape as the original flexible one... and turned the lights on - they worked!

I then started stuffing it back into the ceiling cavity and the metal spring on the outside popped-out and the glass fell on the floor and broke into a thousand pieces.

I could've cried.

Maplin don't stock 'em, I trundled on down to Wickes and they have GU10 recessed IP-rated downlighters - but they're different and sold in packs of 3 for £27... so I held back from that... therefore, the search continues for a piece of glass... or, most likely, another fitting.

I wanted to thank the forum for the advice received.

However, a second reason for the update is this... the fittings that are there in the room now have three wires - blue, brown and green / yellow. The earth connects to the outer frame and the metal bracket part.

The ones in Wickes did not have an earth. I opened up the pack of 3 lights in Wickes and the connector box only has 2 wires, rather than the 3 that were on the one in my photo and the one I've purchased from ToolStation.

I believe it was these...

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Energy-Efficient-Downlight-Chrome-Pk3/p/218791

Is that something that's important if I decide to go the whole hog and get a replacement fitting and there is an earth wire coming out of the hole in my ceiling?

P.S. - I would add that the GU10 fittings I saw in Wickes looked better than the ones that I currently have fitted today because they don't seem to have the metal spring, rubber ring and piece of glass on the outside, so to speak, it's all seemingly encased inside (and above) the metal bezel, which seems a better design. So I'm tempted to buy a pack now I am an expert at fitting these.

So, I couldn't find where I might get a new piece of glass to replace that which fell out of my GU10 fitting, therefore I bought a new IP-rated fitting for a few quid from Screwfix.

It doesn't come with an earth connection either.

It [the manual] says "These units are double insulated and must not be earthed. If there are any incoming earth cables, they must be joined together and well insulated with good quality insulation tape."

If I replace the old fitting (that has an earth connection) with this new fitting (which doesn't have an earth connection), can I just leave the earth cable coming out of the hole in the ceiling disconnected, but safely covered up with tape?

Can I mix and match the fittings... this will be the only one without an earth connection?

The new IP-rated fitting does have some glass in it, but it looks quite hard to get to, being behind the metal bezel, rather than sitting somewhere where it could likely fall out.

Of course you can mix the fittings. Just ensure that the old ones (that need earthing) are still earthed and follow the guidelines that state
These units are double insulated and must not be earthed. If there are any incoming earth cables, they must be joined together and well insulated with good quality insulation tape."

Thanks for that.

I thought it meant, if you have an earth wire coming out of the hole in the ceiling it must - somehow - be joined up to other earth wires coming out of different holes, which I haven't got a clue how to get to... so now I know that I can just stuff a connector box on the end of it to 'terminate' it then it'll be fine.

I also now know I can mix and match, earthed and non-earthed, so I can just change this one fitting.

I will get onto it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back