GU10 in series

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys

I've got a small space where I need very few watts to light it up.

Can I run gu10 bulbs in series to share the wattage or does it not work like that?

Any other recommendations?
I've got 6 spotlight spaces to fill.

Thanks in advance

CF

Sponsored Links
No, it doesn't work like that.

You would be sharing the voltage.

What kind of 'bulbs' are they? GU10 is the type of connector pins.

Fill 5 of them with plaster and just have 1. What idiot put 6 lamps in such a small space?

Putting lamps in series would only work with halogens and no one uses them now.

Led bulbs.
I've got some 3.5w bulbs but I think 6 bulbs will be blinding

Sponsored Links
I agree
I was mortified when I came home and saw 6 spotlights and all the wiring done.

I'd love to plaster over them but then it won't be central.

Cheers

Putting lamps in series would only work with halogens and no one uses them now.
Even with halogens, there could be a problem, since they would run at a much lower temperature than intended, which could have a negative impact on bulb life. Traditional (non-halogen) incandescents are what one really needs for series operation (provided one doesn't mind the colour) :)

Kind Regards, John

Cheers for the replys fellas

Does gen 1 refer to the efficiency of the LEDs?

So I take it they are the least efficient?

Thanks again

Hi, no "gen 1" refers to the first generation of LED lights which consisted of individual LEDs (specifically through hole PCB mounting components) combined into a bulb.

Gen 2 was surface mount components and now we are on third generation COB = Chip On Board where the LED 'chip' is directly part of the substrate, i.e. board that they mount on.

It doesn’t necessarily relate to efficiency, generally later LED generations are smaller in size and brighter. So the Gen 1 bulbs are just generally low power and low brightness, so 1 Watt in my example whereas 4.5W and higher COB GU10 bulbs are common now.

Or put them on a dimmer ... they'll need to be 'dimmable'.

This is a great idea, you can get the level exactly right then!

Did some miscreant break into your house while you were out and gratuitously install downlights in your cieling?

Bloody miscreant. That's exactly what she is.
She only knows how to order work men around. Can't believe they didn't talk any sense into her.

She wanted lots of light she says

This is why I like doing stuff myself.

I suggest that you just put bulbs in the lights and wait for her to accept that it's too bright before pointing out that it's her fault and then making changes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back