GU10 or GU5.3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my house all my downlights are gu10 with the ones in my bathroom having a (steam?) cover over them except for the one over the sink which appears to be a gu5.3 fire rated downlight.
Is there any reason why this single list would be a GU5.3 as opposed to a Gu10 and also why it would be a fire rated downlight where all other downlights are not. The house is 8 years old and I assume had downlights from when it was built.
My only guess would be something happened with this particular light fitting and it was changed, unless there is another reason?

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Is the 12V fitting nearer the bath or in a lower section of ceiling than the other 230V lights?

The ceiling is all the same level and below shows a plan of the bathroom with the location of the different light types
View media item 84207
From what I have read there seems to be no real reason why one light is different to the others, but it is only from what I have read - I am not expert at all.

Perhaps they all started off as GU5.3 12 v units and as the switch mode power supplies failed they were changed to 240v GU10 units.

Another possibility is that the lamp over the basin was added at a later date.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Winston1, I think that it was just added at a later date as all other downlights in the house (about 20-30) are 240v GU10 units.
Just wanted to check there was not a regulation issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back