Guardtec Speech Dialler and ADSL line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I was wondering if anybody could help me with the following.

I have a guardtec speech dialler and a BT line. Until recently, all was fine. A few weeks ago, I enabled ADSL on my BT line and my speech dialler has stopped working. The speech dialler does not signal any fault, but if I trigger the alarm, the speech dialler is unable to make a call.

I surmised that this was due to a lack of ADSL filter on the speech dialler line, and so purchased a fixed ADSL line filter from tait components: (http://www.tait-components.com/ProductDetail/list/ADSL-Line-Jacks-Filters/Hardwired-ADSL-Filter-c/w-Faceplate-+-Backbox_271775/1)

I am using the datasheet from this page.

I have tried unsuccessfully to fit the filter. When I make the connections
indicated on the datasheet, the speech dialler flashes 'LF' (line fault).

Could anybody shed some light on this ? Also, would anybody be able to tell me how to wire up the filter ? I would like to check that I am connecting the correct color cores to the correct connections ?

Many thanks,

James

Sponsored Links
since your dialer says line fault you have connected the filter wrong.

line in goes to 2 & 5 line out goes to 2 & 5 (i presume one set is called line in the other line out)

surely the dialler would still make the call on an alarm but the answer on the other end of the line would just be crackly?
sounds more like a dialler problem?
is it common to need a dsl filter with a dialler ? cos I don't know :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the replies, they were very useful.

I eventually tracked the fault to a duff connection I had made in the master socket. I have already got an extension connected to the user wiring part and had connected the dialler in parallel, but I guess the connection wasn't great.
Any tips on making multiple connections in the master socket ?

Thanks guys,

James

if its the push in ones you can jus about have 2 if its a scew connection stip and thwist the cables first

never put more than two in an IDC block and if you do put two make sure you use the same type of cable. cat5 has thinner cores than BT spec cable so if you put a cat5 core and a BT core in the same block the cat5 core will not make a reliable contact. I suspect similar issues apply to other combinations as well.

If you need to connect a stranded core, more than two core or cores of a mixture of types to an IDC I suggest using solder and heatsring to join the incoming cores to a short tail of BT spec wire and putting that in the idc.

When inserting the wire use the proper tool or failing that carefully use a screwdriver to push the wire in. If you use a screwdriver be carefull to only put force on the wire DO NOT just ram a screwdriver down the middle.

If it is still not making a good connection with only a single core or with two matching cores the terminal is probablly f*cked. If you get that problem on the BT NTE5 replace the bottom plate (unfortunately i'm not aware of anywhere selling the bottom plates seperately but you can buy the complete NTE5 unit and just use the new plate)

If you don't use a DSL filter on a peice of telecom equipment then that equipment is likely to disrupt the broadband. This applies whatever that equipment is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back