Guess the cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Since I am stuck in work today I thought I would add a picture of some cable that we are having altered about a bit.

It was installed in 1969, the diameter of the core is 1.74mm tinned copper. Other than that, has anyone come across it before?

If somebody guesses it straight away, I will be mildly miffed!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, some of the 'older' alarm cables came as singles.

You sat this came from a ring final mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

Is it

1. Phase

2. Neutral

3. CPC

Recently removed something very similar from a house whilst doing a rewire- this was singles, fabric and 'rubber' coated supplying the un-earthed lighting circuits

Sponsored Links
It is phase, there is no CPC as it is done in steel conduit.

The only other type of cables to this board are PVC SWA clipped direct.

The majority of the circuits are done with this cable, we have red, white and blue. It supplies lighting, extraction fans andd control panels. It is in excellent condition, no signs of breaking down.

The reason I posted is because it has been mis-identified many times by time served electricians....

VIR singles cloth covered, rubber insulated and tinned conductors due to reaction with rubber?

I am amazed stuff like that has been used as lately as 1969.

close :) our boiler room exploded in the great propane boiler explosion when somebody purged the propane lines with propane instead of nitrogen then pressed the ignition button. Since the room was demolished I dont know if any was fitted there. This is used in our warehouses with an ambient of 40c in winter and 50 plus in summer.

As I said, it runs our high-bay lighting, sockets and control panels the cables close to the furnace are all pyro. Some fool installed cab tyre flex on some of the furnaces, needless to say, it is a little scorched.

Anyway, its FP100 :)

Incidentally, to maintain temperatures like that with the roller doors open and no insulation, we burn £60,000 of gas per week!

It doesn't look like this either:
FP 100 Link 1
FP 100 Link 2

fp100.jpg

It is on the plans drawn in 1969 and they specify FP100. Presumably it doesnt look like new FP because it has been updated...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back