What size SWA do I have?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question - I have some 3-core SWA, each core has 7 stands, the diameter across the copper is about 4mm - what size do you reckon it is? (I know pi r squared doesn't work because it's stranded and I don't have a vernier to measure each stand)

Anyone care to hazard a guess? :)

I'd say 6mm^2, but I thought I would ask those who use this stuff all the time...

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Dunno. Might be.

Is it not stamped onto the sheath of the cable?

Maybe take an offcut to your local B&Q and match it to one of their cut cables off the shelf?

Sponsored Links
Maybe take an offcut to your local B&Q and match it to one of their cut cables off the shelf?
Do B&Q sell SWA cut? AFAIK, they only have 10-20m drums shrinkwrapped. They may take offence if you start opening them up.

2nd what RF says, SWA usually has the number of cores and the CSA on the outer sheath of the cable.

Do B&Q sell SWA cut? AFAIK, they only have 10-20m drums shrinkwrapped. They may take offence if you start opening them up.

It was everso slightly tongue in cheek and I don't think they do much bigger than 2.5 or 4mm, but they do g/y earths and meter tails, that was all. There isn't room on a certificate for 'looks like 10mm!
PS I like AFAIK - hadn't seen this before

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back