Gulley replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all advice please if possible

I need to replace the drain /gulley but I've no experience in them at all

Are they fairly bog standard as for sizes and pipes

The one I need replacing is made of concrete I think and it's cracked on the top and along the inside when I've checked inside there seems to be a u bend heading right and that must go to the sewer

Can you let me know if it's a straight swap to replace and also the drain is really only used to collect the rainwater from the roof as ground water runs away from it

Kev

638b4f9d.jpg

Sponsored Links
Easy enough to replace if you choose to. You'll need to remove sufficient block paving to be able to access the gulley and the pipe leading away from it. Looks like its made from salt glazed stoneware, commonly used in the past. Gulley and trap will be made in one piece so there's no option but to remove the lot.

Dig out and expose the gulley and enough of the outlet pipe to be able to access with an angle grinder. You may find it is only the surrounding soil holding the gulley in place, in which case, slight movement may free the gulley from the joint to the outlet pipe. If not break it away carefully.

Cut outlet pipe with angle grinder, and chamfer cut edge. Fit a suitable connector to adapt salt glazed to plastic. (This might be ok... http://www.screwfix.com/p/flexible-adaptor/19914 ). Offer in new gulley, (bottle type is my preference as they have built in access for rods or jetting hose), cut piece of 110mm plastic pipe to go from gulley to adaptor, fit gulley and pipe. Good practice to bed gulley on some concrete and haunch with concrete to hold it in place. Protect and exposed plastic pipe with peagravel

Backfill and make good paving. May need to cut some paviors, depending on size of gully top. Something of a similar size may be available, such as http://www.screwfix.com/p/back-inlet-bottle-gully/12051 but there are also hoppers available, but you'd need a seperate trap with these.

Any idea if this would replace the top half that is broken To save ripping it all out, if not I'll start the digging

It's 110mm

09953f8e.jpg

Sponsored Links
I will do cheers Hugh

My only concern is that it's not all covered in concrete as I will have to break up some concrete to be able to remove the gully and trap and install new pipework

5a20b765.jpg

Hmmm, might get away with that. Looking at that i'd either try fitting a new hopper into that, or even obtaining a circular grid to fit whats left, then installing a gulley surround and benching it to form a new gulley.

Hmmm, might get away with that. Looking at that i'd either try fitting a new hopper into that, or even obtaining a circular grid to fit whats left, then installing a gulley surround and benching it to form a new gulley.

Inside Diameter of inner is approx 165mm the outer lip
Is around 190mm

Ideally if I could get a hopper to fit, any ideas if there is some sort of rubber reducer or something to make a nice fit, surely this must be a common thing

Kev

If you've managed to remove the old hopper is (virtually) one piece, then may be worthwhile going to a builders merchants and asking if they've anything suitable. Screwfix and the like only stock plastic drainage, but some of the independant merchants often have racks of clay drainage (some of which has been lying around for years!), and might just have something suitable.

The hopper I've removed is split in two, the gully is fine no cracks so just need a hopper really, wonder if I could make a cust one out of the readily available 110 plastic ones

You could, its getting a seal between the plastic spigot and the existing pot, AFAIK no adaptor is available to make a proper joint. If the plastic hopper was set in concrete it should be fine, just endeavour to make sure you dont fill the clay pot up with concrete whilst doing it! Provided the water can run away ok it should suffice, what you dont want is water leaking out into the surrounding soil and soaking the founds of the property.

I've had a poke through Hepworth and Naylors catalogues, neither appear to make a clay hopper to suit what you have there unfortunately. :( Either complete gullies or hoppers akin to the plastic type you've already seen.

You could, its getting a seal between the plastic spigot and the existing pot, AFAIK no adaptor is available to make a proper joint. If the plastic hopper was set in concrete it should be fine, just endeavour to make sure you dont fill the clay pot up with concrete whilst doing it! Provided the water can run away ok it should suffice, what you dont want is water leaking out into the surrounding soil and soaking the founds of the property.

I've had a poke through Hepworth and Naylors catalogues, neither appear to make a clay hopper to suit what you have there unfortunately. :( Either complete gullies or hoppers akin to the plastic type you've already seen.

Thanks for help here hugh really appreciate it

I may have found one solution, this would fit in the lip

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/7-Round-Cast-..._Plumbing_MJ&hash=item4cf77b4ea5#ht_600wt_689

Although i might do what you said and fit a plastic one and concrete around it i think that may be the neater option

Anyways see what you think of the grill i found

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Yes I think that would work just gotta make sure I can still remove grill to clean when fitting gulley surround

Kec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back