Gully lead set up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gully was never put in correctly and has always been iffy, I'll have to bite the bullet and get it replaced. The run is long and has rolled joints when apparently it should have steps to accommodate sliding laps.

The lead is sat on a membrane (on top of ply) but I was wondering wether a membrane should really be be sandwiched between protective layers (geotextile?) to prevent membrane damage when the lead expands/contracts?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ideally geotec would be used but the membrane will suffice for a small area.

Do you have any pictures of the lead? If it is done correctly the membrane below it should not be an issue for you

Sponsored Links
No images but I will get some.

It has a 25° conc. slate roof on one side and a vertical, rendered neighbours wall on the other, there's a lead skirt cut in along the base of the neighbours wall. There are 2 rolled joints in the 12m straight run of gully, one rolled joint has degraded so I recently sealed it with bitumastic, there is a membrane below the lead but it leaks. I think that the central section needs raising so that there are no rolled joints, only sliding laps to allow movement. I think that fixity is creating problems. In the past there have been problems with expansion pushing the lead up in ridges which eventually cracked.

rings a bell this one. simply changing one section wont work for long...destine to fail.

do it properly,

check out calder guide to good leadwork

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back