Gurgling and blocked toilet & sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've had searched the forums with this issue and am pretty sure it's one of two things but I wonder if you experts can shed some light as to which.

I've got an 80's new build end terrace house with internal soil vent pipe and an upstairs and downstairs toilet.

Yesterday, the upstairs toilet was flushed, not particularly overloaded with paper of anything sinister, but immediately after the water level in downstairs toilet starting rising. It eventually dropped but since then things aren't working as they should.

Everything upstairs flushes and drains as expected and I can hear it falling down the main vertical soil pipe. But, as soon as something drains upstairs, the downstairs sinks start gurgling and the downstairs toilets bubbles. If too much is drained upstairs then the water level in the downstairs toilet starts rising.

Last night nothing was being run or flushed apart from the dishwasher. This caused the waste water from the dishwasher to back up into the kitchen sink. The same thing happened today when the washing machine drained.

I guess it's either a blockage or pressure/vent problem.

I don't think I have an AAV/Durgo as the soil pipe stops at the top of the loft and I can see a mesh vent on the top of my roof. I gather this is venting to atmosphere? Can this become blocked or can it fail? Could this be the problem?

Or, is it more likely to be a blockage somewhere towards or in the mains?

There's no obvious manhole covers close to my property to check (one in the road but it's covered by a van at the moment). Neighbours not in at the moment to check if they have problems but they're the type to have knocked already if they have.

Before I call someone else out I'd like to try and at least understand if not fix this myself.

Bleach, hot water etc etc not doing much to help.

Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there is a blockage in the underground waste pipe, between your soil stack and the main sewer (usually under the street). There should be one or more Inspection Chambers (each covered by a manhole cover) along this run; try and lift each cover - when you find an Inspection chamber with a build-up of waste, te blockage will be somewhere upstream of that. Then the job is to shift it, usually with a set of drain rods (perhaps a neighbour may lend you a set; if not, they can be bought for about £20 at one of the DIY sheds.

If the problem is affecting one or more neighbours as well then it's likely to become the Water Authorities responsibility anyway. There should be an inspection chamber somewhere, on the neighbours if not your property.

Note though, with a build of that era there'll be two runs of drains, one for rainwater and another for foul (waste) water. Foul chambers should be identifiable by smell and residue in the bottom (if not full of effluent!). Covers could be the round type on plastic chambers, anything from 9" diameter to 18" diameter.

Sponsored Links
Baffed!

Ok, so I called the water authorities out who could only find an inspection chamber in the house 2 doors away. This is downstream and there was no blockage. They insisted there must be an inspection chamber in my garden as there wasn't one in my neighbours garden.

So, up came the decking. Up came the paving slabs that were laid before we bought the house and about 3 inches into the soil/sand base for the paving slabs was an inspection chamber. I took this off and there was no blockage. There is only one feed into this particular junction and that was from my house (I'm at the top of a row of 4 houses).

Had the water authorities back who tried to rod up into my house (they would only use 3 rods (about 4/5m it total) but couldn't find a blockage. They've now advised it's our responsibility and the blockage is probably in the stack or the 90 degree bend at the bottom of the stack.

Any ideas on how to clear this myself or do I need to call someone out? Can anyone recommend a reputable company that wont rip me off?

Cheers

Why oh why do folks insist on burying manholes. They are there for a reason! :eek: At least you now know its there, and hopefully will leave the cover clear for future needs!

Its unlikely to be blocked in or at the bend at the base of the stack, but not impossible. Have you tried flushing the W.C. and watching at the manhole (have an assistant pull chain!). Chuck some paper down the W.C. and check it comes through to the manhole.

If you still need someone to come out then have a look on here for Andy, HERTSDRAINAGE 2010, he may be able to help you.

Pretty much nothings coming out at the manhole. The first Thames Water guy put some dye in the toilet and I can see evidence of it in the manhole. But any time anything is flushed or run in the house, the downstairs toilet fills up and nothing comes out at the manhole end. I think it is trickling through extremely slowly but it's getting worse not better.

It's not likely to be some wierd back pressure issue is it?

Highly unlikely to be back pressure, sounds like a classic sign of a blockage. Have you any idea where the downstairs W.C. connects? i.e. Does it go straight down into the floor or run horizontally to connect to the stack?

I'd guess there is a blockage after the downstairs W.C. connects to the drain, but obviously before the manhole. Quite why the water folks didnt rod further til they hit the bend at the base of the stack I dont know.... :confused:

Why only 3 rods? Classic case of someone wanting to get home and down the pub on a sunny friday afteroon I think :).

To be honest it does appear to be a blockage in my property so I guess I'm lucky he gave me 3 rods :) But I do have visions of the end of the rod reaching about 2cm from the blockage and then the guy just goes home :(

The downstairs is a cavity floor and last time I looked I believe the downstairs WC runs down through the cloakroom floor into the cavity and then horizontally into the soil pipe before that disappears into the ground.

I suppose in fairness the Water folks weren't obliged to do anything when they realised it was only your property affected, but seems silly to make a half hearted effort like that, when 4 or 5 rods could have hit the problem! I am presuming that the guy who came out isn't on call this weekend and indeed wanted to go home!

If up and down W.C.'s common into same pipe then my money is on a blockage somewhere after they join, but 4-5m away from the manhole... I dont know how far the chamber is from the house or indeed how big the house is but that cant leave an great deal of pipe in which the problem lies! ;)

Hi Bash,

I tried to send you a message but your profile needs to be changed to accept messages from 'all users'.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back