Gurgling drains – likely cause?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, have been lurking without registering on here for a while now. I'd be very grateful for any advice on the following, please.

I'm renting, and a few issues have arisen/got worse over the past few months:
  • the kitchen sink has started to gurgle a lot, even with a small amount of water
  • water in the shower drain bubbles slightly when the bathroom/kitchen sink empties or when flushing the loo
  • there is an AAV fitted to the vertical soil pipe (so there is no external vent) which sounds very loud when flushing the loo
Any ideas on what could be causing this? I can only think of a clog/partial clog in the vertical soil pipe. If this is the case, is there an easy fix? What would be the best way – removing the AAV and running a rod/auger down there? Or plunging/rodding from below using manhole access?

I've tried plunging the toilet but it made no difference. There are two consecutive elbow bends between the toilet and soil stack so not sure how much force it would have generated. I'm not sure what else I can do.

Many thank yous in advance!

Sponsored Links
Yes, sounds likely to be a partial blockage, but I’d suspect the manhole first. Do you have any nearby to check?

Thank you for such a quick response. Yes, LL had a look and said water was coming through when the toilet was flushed. Could that still mean a partial blockage? I don't know how much was actually coming through, just that some was getting through eventually

Depends how quick it was coming through, and how long it took as to whether there’s a blockage. If not, then it could be a failing aav.

Sponsored Links
Thanks once again CBW. It's difficult to know as I dont think LL suspects that it's a clog. I should add that the join between the two elbow bends was dripping a week or so ago, which I thought could be to water sitting in the pipes because of slow draining/a clog. It's been repositioned though, and I now can't see the point where it was leaking. I'd remove the AAV cap and rod downwards if I could but the AAV is so hard to access.

Would that be the best way to clear or would plunging from below work? I'm hoping to get this sorted myself if needed, before it becomes a big problem, as it's been ongoing for a couple of months now.

Thanks again

Last edited:
It’s should be LL problem before it’s yours, or even the water undertaker if it’s a public shared sewer. I wouldn’t be ridding from aav point unless there was no other way.

Thank you both. It's a fair point re: charging, but only moved in 5 months ago and have reported a few times over the last 3-4 months, so I'd imagine it's become a bigger problem then it was initially... Really at this stage I'd accept a financial hit to get it sorted though, it's not going to clear itself and anything is better than the ongoing worry.

Fingers crossed for an outcome one way or another.

Last edited:
I live in a separate building on LL’s property so not really able to. I’ll have to report it again and ask to look myself .

AAV makes a rumbling sound after draining the sink, then flushing the toilet a few mins later. LL said only to worry if the toilet bowl fills and doesnt drain but, if it's a clog, surely it will be too late?

Last edited:
Sounds to me pretty much like there is a blockage in there somewhere, bubbling from the shower is an indication the air being displaced by the incoming discharge cannot be displaced as normal, (AAV is doing it's job and holding shut so positive pressure is trapped in the line and is looking for an alternative escape route.)

You've made the LL aware, not much else you can do. Keep using appliances as normal, if it backs up then LL will have to do something.

That makes perfect sense, thank you for explaining. Would a backed up toilet be an even bigger problem if the AAV is not 6" above the highest flood level? It's currently positioned a good few inches below the top of the toilet bowl... I'm unsure if the 6" height requirement is to prevent floods or to maintain pressure, but hoping its the latter...

Last edited:
Water will always find it's own level, and so come out of the lowest point. I think the rule about keeping an AAV above the spillover level is to make sure any spillage can be seen, and not emerge from the AAV to run down inside any boxing in around a soil pipe, where it may not be noticed until major damage is done....

If it's visible then I wouldn't worry too much, you'll see any leakage before it gets too serious hopefully.

Thanks once again, that's very reassuring to know.

Sorry to drag this up again, but I've noticed the bathroom smells bad after running the washing machine. Would this be linked to any potential aforementioned clog? This has been happening since I moved in, although I'd initially put it down to normal bathroom use/drying towels in there – it has no windows so it's slow to air out.

Last edited:
It appears the toilet waste pipe has started leaking again, as it has before – this is surely likely to be the sympton of a clog somewhere. Have reported this but was put down to the push-fit coming apart slightly, hence the paper to catch/dry up any other drips. I'm going to report it again but want to be able to make the most convincing case that this needs looking at ASAP. This is a studio room so any leakages etc are rather unpleasant, seeing as I eat/sleep in the same room.

Thanks, and apologies, again.

View media item 107744

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back