Gurgling drains – likely cause?

No need for apologies. The leak could be from a poorly fitted connection, not necessarily from a blockage, this would only make it leak more, unless the blockage is so severe, that water will emanate from its weakest point.

Sponsored Links
Aside from the fact they've used underground pipe internally, (possibly because it's cheaper than soil pipe... :rolleyes:), it shouldn't leak from there, even if pipework is full. Badly made joint I would suspect, Installer either hasn't or has badly chamfered the end of the pipe before inserting into the fitting, it's dislocated the seal with the end result, it leaks.....

Thanks all, really helpful again. Weirdly enough, I just had a look and it doesn't seem to even be a push-fit connection... it looks like there's some kind of connector inbetween. I assume this is standard practice, but I don't understand why a male to female connection wasn't used. I guess this might explain the leak though.

View media item 107750

Sponsored Links
You have a pair of underground 90° bends, with a short piece of black soil pipe joining them together. Vast majority of underground drainage fittings are 'Push Fit', the 'Lip' at the end of the fitting contains the seal.

Hi all, thank you again for your help on this a few weeks ago. LL has since refitted the waste pipes (no more leaks) and added an anti-syphon trap to the sink so it doesn't gurgle.

I think you're probably right re: blockage though ,so I checked the manhole...but it looks clear. Water comes through after a flush – first slowly, then a faster and larger body of water. However... the AAV is rumbling *very* loudly now with each flush. I've told LL about how loud it is getting but they've said it was normal. There is now also an unpleasant lingering smell that is noticable as soon as you walk in. This is mostly coming from behind the washing machine (which has no P trap).

Is this almost certainly a partial clog? If so, is this something that will require a plumber? LL has gone away so I may have to arrange one and potentially pay for it myself. At this point I'd like to just get it sorted and move on, it's been a good few months now and is a bit unpleasant, being a studio flat.

Thanks again.

Hi all, thank you again for your help on this a few weeks ago. LL has since refitted the waste pipes (no more leaks) and added an anti-syphon trap to the sink so it doesn't gurgle There is now also an unpleasant lingering smell that is noticable as soon as you walk in. This is mostly coming from behind the washing machine (which has no P trap).

Thanks again.
needs a trap or maybe a Hep V O inline waste valve on the washing machine waste. A picture would help;)

The AAV making some kind of noise when you flush is normal, some 'rattle' as they open to allow the air into the system. If there's no Trap on the Washing machine, that could well be the source of your odour issues, rectify that and give it a few days to see what happens.

Thank you all, LL had a look and said it needed a trap for the washing machine waste, so fitted one – all is good there and no more overpowering sewage smells. Weirdly though, the AAV is still emitting a faint odour, only just noticable but definitely there. Should this be happening at all, even if there is a blockage? I still suspect this must be the underlying issue (rather than a faulty AAV, for example) but worry that the chances of calling anyone out are slim...

Last edited:
Thank you, that makes sense. I'll mention it and hopefully it'll be straightforward enough to replace. Have also noticed that the shower has started gurgling when the sink is emptied, so hoping LL will take a look at that too. Cheers again, will update on here after it's been resolved (fingers crossed).

I promised an update, and thanks again for your advice. LL has attended, a few weeks after my last post, finally to fit a new AAV (please see attached photo). However, there are still faint odours every now and then, which I suspect might be because the pipework might not be airtight. I now realise that the landlord probably installed the entire drainage system and they are not a plumber – I don't know what building regulations were followed.

As this has been going on for ages – months – I'm considering just writing to the council's environmental health department and asking them to come and look. Would that be justified going by the attached photo? That is, would a professional plumber have signed it off?

View media item 108035

Technically there's nothing actually wrong with using below ground waste pipe (brown) as long as it is internal, council wouldn't have an issue. They would probably have more of an issue if someone has added in a new room/living space/bathroom in say an attic without planning.

On another note ..... Do you have an unvented hot water cylinder?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back