Gutted - cracks appeared in new fibreglass tub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am absolutely gutted :evil: - Just finished fitting and tiling around a new fibreglass tub (Omni Duo).
Having been in use for approximately one week I have noticed that cracks have appeared in the bottom of the tub.

The cracks eminate from the centre of the bath in the area where the bottom of the bath curves up to the side. At present it has only occured to the front and back, not to either of the sides.

I have been in touch with the supplier and they in turn the manufacturer. They have now informed me that the likely cause is due to the tub having been dropped at some stage. Now I know I didn't drop it and it was checked when delivered for obvious damage and looked perfect. And there is no obviuos external damage to suggest it ever suffered an impact to these areas from the underneath. As I say, only appeared after about a week.

Supplier has offered me a replacement tub, but I cannot bear the though of having to remove tiles etc to get this one out. I also think it is actually a manufacturing fault given what I found on t'interweb from a bath repair site:

"We cannot repair every crack or split in every situation. There are instances where a bath can end up with a lot of splitting in it, especially the base, and this can be due to a structural problem with the bath itself.
Usually this manifests itself with a lots of small cracks forming in a particular area of the bath. In some cases the entire base of the bath can be covered in hundreds of these small cracks....
If the above is happening in your bath then you are looking at a situation where the bath's own support structure is failing."

So - is anyone familiar with this type of fault, and if so will any aftermarket repair suffice?

(I'm now off to cry some more!)

Sponsored Links
wellerman";p="1659669 said:
I am absolutely gutted :evil: - Just finished fitting and tiling around a new fibreglass tub (Omni Duo).

The cracks eminate from the centre of the bath in the area where the bottom of the bath curves up to the side. At present it has only occured to the front and back, not to either of the sides.

I have been in touch with the supplier and they in turn the manufacturer. They have now informed me that the likely cause is due to the tub having been dropped at some stage.

(I'm now off to cry some more!) Because of the CLOWNS that deliver them :rolleyes: in their 7 ton boy racer waggons . I`ve had enough C-rap damaged stuff to last me and that`s just DIY @ home . Trust Me - those tossers in
their " lorries " should have the exaughsts connected to the cabs :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back