Gutter Leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had loose gutter, called someone to repair, he added 2 brackets but there is a leak just by the new bracket as in the vid attached, asked the repairer he said "I can see it’s coming from the corner of the gutter that’s due to the gutters not been cleaned out gutters don’t be cleaned will cause blockage"

I have also attached a photo with arrow where the leak from, just by the new fitted bracket .

Wouldn't a blockage cauese overflow?

Any opinions?

Thanks

gutter2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like the joint leaking to me. Hard to be 100% sure from the ground.

Could just have come loose and needs reclipped. You need to get closer and have a look.

Sponsored Links
Does your roof have moss on it...if the gutter is full of moss then there will be an overflow...just ask the repair for a photo.

Black gutters move a lot in heat , my corners needed refitting every 2-3 year due to movement caused by summer heat .

Does your roof have moss on it...if the gutter is full of moss then there will be an overflow...just ask the repair for a photo.
He took down section of gutter during repair, there was surface moss nothing significant, I was present during the work. Gutters were cleaned a year ago. Wouldn't gutter full up with the rain water and over flow when filled with moss? As in the vid, water dripping from the bottom right in the middle of the bracket.

Black gutters move a lot in heat , my corners needed refitting every 2-3 year due to movement caused by summer heat .
That section was repaired in the weekend, 2 new brackets fitted.

That section was repaired in the weekend, 2 new brackets fitted.
No brackets on a corner, it’s one unit.
If it’s been replaced it’s not been done correctly , either left seals out or distorted them during fitting.

No brackets on a corner, it’s one unit.
If it’s been replaced it’s not been done correctly , either left seals out or distorted them during fitting.
Where the arrow is a new bracket, where the dot is also new bracket. They weren't there before, repairer fitted them this weekend.
I don't know gutters, but isn't than a 90 degree elbow attached to the gutter and 2 new brackets holding the gutter? If so then it's a bad joint between elbow and gutter, no?

Can silicone be used in case problematic joint?
Gutter sealant is a good choice for ..umm ...gutters! :)

But as has been said earlier, it shouldn't really be necessary to use the stuff, if the gutters and joints have been fitted correctly.

Where the arrow is a new bracket, where the dot is also new bracket. They weren't there before, repairer fitted them this weekend.
I don't know gutters, but isn't than a 90 degree elbow attached to the gutter and 2 new brackets holding the gutter? If so then it's a bad joint between elbow and gutter, no?
Additional brackets do nothing to cure a leaking corner joint .

If you have a window near the corner, strap camera to a stick and see what's happening there. Though, water and lithium will blow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back