gutter overhang into neighbours airspace

You can't put a gutter on top of a roof, without it being some mickey mouse job, which will most likely put future buyers off.

If it needs adapting, then you have to fit a box gutter which remains on your side of the boundary, and the roof reduced to discharge into the gutter. It's a lot of messing about.

Or you remove the windows at the side, brick it up (or just block up on the inside), and then adapt the roof. This will be a much better option as it removes future problems with the neighbour.

This is the price attached to moving to your "dream home", and you have to pay it.

Sponsored Links
get your lawyer to draft a letter saying that during the sale process you have been allerted to the discrepancy about the current boundaries and that you will be re-instating them to their legal place, this however will necesitate them moving their shed...

Sponsored Links
your abit up the sh*t creek without a paddle.

it cost my neighbour £15000 for the same issue 4 yrs ago. bit more involved than yours but that was a gutter 6" overhang.

Remove the gutter.

You will cause rainwater to cascade down onto the neighbours property.

You can then suggest a fix for this by reinstating the gutter. :D

Oh my lord; this is moving into the sort of territory that is all too familiar; can't look tonight but will be back tomorrow. ;)

Exactly Richard. Pathetic, petty-minded Britsh squabbles over nothing, where no one benefits. Except some scrawny little turd of a lawyer or several.

Not aimed at OP by the way: he just has the misfortune to be caught up in it.

The OP should just accept the little loss that will come next, asking for a reduction because of this & move house.
Just dont do it again :D

The OP should just accept the little loss that will come next, asking for a reduction because of this & move house.
Just dont do it again :D
Probably the best advice if that will swing it; & definitely don’t get involved with anything similar again.

I’ve personally been involved in a petty boundary squabble over strip of land 3 inches wide :rolleyes: & I’ve got a ½ acre! It can get both ridiculously silly & expensive & at one stage it seriously looked like we were going to have 3 fences down the boundary line :eek: ; luckily common sense prevailed but I would only ever play it by the book in future.

Spanish have the right idea over boundary disputes: chuck a stone down and where it lands is the boundary. End of.

all this because the neighbour doesn't want someone else to come on their land to clean the gutters?

from what I've read, you have a legal right of access for maintainence to your property, as he would have if that fence was 3 feet further over against the side of his house, and the gap between then houses was part of your plot.

from what I've read, you have a legal right of access for maintainence to your property, as he would have if that fence was 3 feet further over against the side of his house, and the gap between then houses was part of your plot.
Unfortunately I don’t believe he does without Deed of Easement which he won't sign; the only course of action then seems to be to apply to the courts using the “Access to neighbouring lands act” to grant an access order;
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts1992/ukpga_19920023_en_1

I haven’t read it through as it looks more painful than Building Regs. :eek: so don’t know if it would give a “one off” or a perpetual right of access. But I would think such a route would frighten the life out of any potential buyer anyway.

I found this in a similar topic on the Garden Law forum which might be of use;
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=94626&sid=da5e3d34a9250d09e508691443c08270

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back