Guttering and house insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After the recent very heavy snow around 9M of my girlfriends cast iron guttering has landed in her garden. I reclaimed some and bought a couple of lengths panning to fit yesterday. However a couple of the curved flat brackets have bent and they look difficult to replace so decided on our first insurance claim in 20 years (because her neighbour was quoter £1400 for a similar repair). Now her insurance company is saying its classed as accidental damage and she is not covered. She questioned the fact that if a tree had accidently fell against her house would she be covered?. Possibly because that might be storm damage came the reply. surely the definition of accident is that someone is at fault? but no one was at fault here. Sorry for the long post but I just cant believe it.
Anyone got any advice please?

Sponsored Links
you can get brackets for cast gutters from PDM Edinburgh.

I wouldn't have expected them to accept the claim because snow fall on the roof - and subsequently ending up in the gutter is normal isn't it, even if the amount has been a little unusual.

I'm surprised they didn't say the collapsed gutter is due to lack of manitainance

Sponsored Links
Sorry cant post a pic but it is made of tough strip material with a tail that disapears between the top of the wall and underside of roof so some slates and felt would need to be removed to replace. Does anyone know how and what this is attached to. The house is a 7 year old converted stone built steadings with a timber frame built inside it.
There was a huge amount of snow and ice on the roof and in the gutter the weight of which when melting has pushed the gutter out of the clips.
There was 2 foot of snow here at the time. So if the insurance cover against extreme winds why not extreme snow.

Does anyone think it is worth pursuing the insurance any further.

Thanks for your assistance people.

It`s a top fixing rafter bracket :idea: - easier to fix before the roof covering goes on when building. ( not now tho`) if you can get @ the rafter feet, you just need Side fixing rafter brackets - so you can get @ the screws now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back